Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
- Economic costs of diabetes in the US in 2002.Diab Care. 2003; 26: 917-932
World Health Organization. The world health report 2000 health systems: improving performance. Available at: http://www.who.int/health-systems-performance/whr2000.htm.
- Understanding health policy: a clinical approach.Appleton & Lange, Stamford, CN1995
Kaiser Daily Health Policy Report. UAW made concessions on wage increases to preserve health benefits. Available at: http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/print_report.cfm?
Greenhouse S. Two sides seem entrenched in supermarket dispute. The New York Times 2003, Nov 10. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/10/national/10STR1.html.
- Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century.National Academy Press, Washington, DC2000
Families USA. Top dollar: CEO compensation in Medicare's private insurance plans. Available at: http://www.familiesusa.org/site.pdf.
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. OECD data show health expenditures at an all-time high. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/document/39/0,2340,en_2649_34631_2789735_1_1_1_1,00.html.
World Health Organisation. WHO issues new healthy life expectancy rankings: Japan number one in new “healthy life” system. Available at: http://www.who.int/inf-pr-2000/en/pr2000-life.html.
- Health care system under French national health insurance: lessons for health reform in the United States.Am J Publ Health. 2003; 93: 31-37
- Comparing health systems in four countries: lessons for the United States.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 52-56
- Chronic conditions: making the case for ongoing care.Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD2002
Marcelle S. Tout ce qui devrait changer. La Dépêche du Midi 2004 July 20.
Raffarin JP. Santé: M Raffarin veut accroître la part de l'assurance privée. Le Monde 2003 Oct 14. Retrieved October 15, 2003 from http://www.lemonde.fr/web/recherche_articleweb/1,13-0,36-337966,0.html.
- Costs of health care administration in the United States and Canada.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 768-775
Davis K, Cooper BS. American health care: why so costly? Available at: http://www.cmwf.org/programs/qu.pdf. Invited testimony, Senate Appropriations Committee 2003 Jun 11.
Boccuti C, Moon M. Comparing Medicare and private insurers: growth rates in spending over three decades. Available at: http://www.cmwf.org/programs/me.pdf Health Affairs (serial online) 2003;22:230-7.
Anderson GF, Reinhardt UE, Hussey PS, Petrosyan V. It's the prices, stupid: why the United States is so different from other countries. Available at: http://www.healthaffairs.org/re.pdf Health Affairs (serial online) 2003;22:89-103.
Davey M. Illinois considers buying drugs in Canada. The New York Times 2003 Sept 16;Sect. A:17.
Securities and Exchange Commission. Pharmaceutical company expenses: cost of sales, marketing, R&D compared. Available at: http://www.cptech.org/ip/health/econ/allocation.html.
Eli Lily and Company. 2002 financial highlights. Available at: http://lilly.com/investor/annua.pdf.
Davis K. Time for change: the hidden cost of a fragmented health insurance system. Invited testimony, In Critical Condition: America's Ailing Health Care System, Senate Special Committee on Aging, 10 Mar 2003. Retrieved September 19, 2003 from http://www.cmwf.org/programs/insurance/davis_senatecommitteetestimony_622.pdf.
Freudenheim M. Employees paying ever-bigger share for health care. The New York Times 2003 Sept 10; Sect. A, 1, C1.
US Census Bureau. Health insurance coverage in the United States: 2002. Available at: http://www.census.gov/prod/2003.pdf.
Zuckerman S. Gains in public health insurance offset reductions in employer coverage among adults. In: Snapshots of America's Families 111, No 8. Washington (DC): Urban Institute; 2003. Retrieved October 9, 2003 from http://www.urban.org/urlprint.cfm?
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. Chart 2. Health expenditure by source of funding, 2000. Available at: http://oecd.org/document/11/0,2340,en_2825_495642_16502667_1_1_1_1,00.html.
- Hidden costs, value lost: uninsurance in America.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2003
Bhandari S, Mills R. Dynamics of economic well-being: health insurance 1996-1999: household economic studies. Available at: http://www.sipp.census.gov/sipp.pdf.
- Health care in America: lost opportunities amid plenty.Qualitative Hlth Res. 2003; 13: 857-870
Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development. OECD countries struggle with rising demand for health spending. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/document/38/0,2340,en_2649_201185_16560422_1_1_1_1,00.html.
- Diabetes management: complications risk assessment, diagnosis, and therapeutic options.J Am Med Assoc. 2002; 287: 2588-2589
Anderson GF, Hussey PS. Charts from multinational comparisons of health systems data 2000: charts VIII1-VII11 and IX1-IX2. Available at: http://www.cmwf.org/programs/international/comp_chartbook_charts4.asp.
- Follow-up of the WHO multinational study of vascular disease in diabetes: general description and morbidity.Diabetologia. 2001; 44: S3-S13
- A comparison of renal disease across two continents: the epidemiology of diabetes complications study and the EURODIAB IDDM complications study.Diabetes Care. 1996; 19: 219-225
- Glycemic control in patients with diabetes in Finland.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 575-579
- Mortality in insulin-dependent diabetes.in: Harris M.I. Diabetes in America. 2nd ed. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestives and Kidney Disease, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD1995: 221-232
- Standards of medical care for patients with diabetes mellitus.Diabetes Care. 2003; 26: S33-S50
- The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 977-986
- Design, implementation, and preliminary results of a long-term follow-up of the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial cohort.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 99-111
American Diabetes Association. Proposed Medicaid cuts threaten lives of people living with diabetes. In the News, 12 Mar 2003.
- The cost of diabetes in metropolitan France.Diabetes Metab. 2000; 26: 25-38
- The prevalence and cost of diabetes in metropolitan France: what trends between 1998 and 2000?.Diabetes Metab. 2003; 29: 497-504
Association De Langue Française Pour L'Etude Du Diabète Et Des Maladies Metaboliques (Alfediam). Données récentes sur l'épidémiologie, le coût et la prise en charge du diabète en France Métropoloitaine. Retrieved December 4, 2003 from http://www.alfediam.org/membres/cout_diabete/index.asp.
- The cost-effectiveness of intensive therapy for diabetes mellitus.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 1997; 26: 679-695
- Comparing the national economic burden of five chronic conditions.Health Aff. 2001; 20: 233-241
Lorelle V. Les laboratories se livrent bataille dans le traitement du diabète. LeMonde/Dimanche 12-Lundi 13 Août 2001;10.
Cooksey C, Lanza AP. Examining diabetes health benefits in health plans of large employers. J Public Health Management Practice 2003;Nov(Suppl):S30-S35.
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Preventing diabetes and its complications. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccpdh/pe_factsheets/pe_ddt.html.
- An economic analysis of interventions for diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2000; 23: 390-404
- The cost-effectiveness of different management strategies for type 1 diabetes: a Swiss perspective.Diabetologia. 2000; 43: 13-26
- Diabetes nephropathy in the Netherlands: a cost effectiveness analysis of national clinical guidelines.Health Policy. 2000; 51: 135-147
- Development and application of a model to estimate the impact of type 1 diabetes and health-related quality of life.Diabetes Care. 1998; 21: 725-731
- Effect of intensive therapy on the microvascular complications of type 1 diabetes mellitus.J Am Med Assoc. 2002; 287: 2563-2569
American Diabetes Association. HEALTHBEAT how to shake complacency so diabetics get better care? In the News, 6 Aug 2002. Retrieved August 10, 2002 from http://ada.yellowbrix.com/pages/ada/Story.nsp?.
National Conference of State Legislatures. State laws mandating diabetes health coverage. December 2003. Available at: http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/diabetes.html.
- Effects of cost sharing on care seeking and health status: results from the medical outcomes study.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 1889-1894
- Racial and ethnic differences in health insurance coverage for adults with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 1679-1682
Partnership for Prevention. Diabetes: common, serious, costly, getting worse…and preventable. March 2002. Available at: http://www.prevent.org/priorities/PinP_0302_Diabetes_New.pdf.
- The role of cost-effectiveness analysis and health insurance in diabetes care.Diabetes Res Clin Prac. 2001; 54: S7-S11
- External barriers to diabetes care: addressing personal and health systems issues.Diabetes Spectrum. 2001; 14: 23-28
- Easier injections: insulin pens offer convenience.Diabetes Interview. 2003; 12: 43-47
- Diabetes would you cure a profitable disease?.Diabetes Interview. 2003; 12: 35-41
- Spare $10 for a diabetes cure?.Diabetes Health. 2004; 13 (,42): 36-40
Holstein WJ. The missing rivalry in health care. The New York Times 2004 Aug 15. Retrieved August 18, 2004 from http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/15/business/yourmoney/15advi.html.
- Cost-effective approaches to diabetes care and prevention.Diabetes Voice. 2002; 47: 13-16