Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Societal costs of prescription opioid abuse, dependence, and misuse in the United States.Pain Medicine. 2011; 12: 657-667
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011a, November). Prescription painkiller overdoses in the US. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/PainkillerOverdoses.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011b, November). Policy impact: Prescription painkiller overdoses. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/rxbrief/.
Drug Enforcement Administration. (2011, April). Over 47,000 sites join DEA nationwide effort to take back prescription drugs on April 30. Retrieved from http://www.nationaltakebackday.com.
Fraudulent Prescription Prevention Act of 2011, H.R. 1266, 112th Cong. (2011).
- Identifying the drug seeker: The Advanced Practice Nurses’ role in managing prescription drug abuse.Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2004; 16: 239-243
- Methadone Associated Overdose Deaths: Factors. Contributing to Increased Deaths and Efforts to Prevent Them.(GAO-09-341) U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2009
- Prescription drug abuse: Insight into the epidemic.Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2010; 88: 307-317
- Relieving pain in America: A blueprint for transforming prevention, care, education and research.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Growing internet use may help explain the rise in prescription drug abuse in the United States.Health Affairs. 2011; 30: 1-8
- Monitoring the future national results on adolescent drug use: Overview of key findings, 2010.Institute for Social Research, the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor2011
Medicare and Medicaid FAST Act, S. 1251,112th Cong. (2011).
Medicare and Medicaid FAST Act, H.R. 3339,112th Cong. (2011).
National All Schedules Prescription Electronic Reporting (NASPER) Reauthorization Act of 2011, H.R. 866, 112th Cong. (2011).
National Institute of Drug Abuse. (2011). Prescription drug abuse and addiction. Retrieved from http://drugabuse.gov/PDF/RRPrescription.pdf.
Office of National Drug Control Policy (2011). Epidemic: Responding to America’s Prescription Drug Abuse Crisis. Retrieved from http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/ondcp/policy-and-research/rx_abuse_plan.pdf.
Pill Mill Crackdown Act of 2011, H.R. 1065,112th Cong. (2011).
- Managing chronic pain with opioids: A call for change.Author, Bellevue, WA2010
Prescription Drug Abuse and Treatment Act of 2011, S.507, 112th Cong. (2011).
Prescription Drug Abuse and Treatment Act of 2011, H.R. 1925, 112th Cong. (2011).
Ryan Creedon Act of 2011, H.R. 2119, 112th Cong. (2011).
Secure and Responsible Drug Disposal Act of 2010, Pub. L. No.111-273, 124 Stat. 2858. STOP ACT, S. 882, 112th Cong. (2011).
Stop Oxy Abuse Act of 2011, H.R. 1316,112th Cong. (2011).
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2011). Results from the 2010 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Retrieved from http://oas.samhsa.gov/NSDUH/2k10NSDUH/2k10Results.pdf.
United States Department of Justice. (2011). State Drug Monitoring Programs. Retrieved from http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/rx_monitor.htm.
- The promotion and marketing of OxyContin: Commercial triumph, public health tragedy.American Journal of Public Health. 2009; 99: 221-227
This paper was written during the author’s Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Health Policy Fellowship. The views expressed in this paper are the views of the author and do not represent the views of Senator Rockefeller, his staff, or the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.