Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Best Start Social Marketing (2004). Using Loving Support© to Implement best practices in peer counseling: Final research brief (FNS contract 58-3198-1-050).
- Breastfeeding peer counseling: Results from the national WIC survey.Journal of Human Lactation. 2001; 17: 119-125
- WIC-based interventions to promote breastfeeding among African-American Women in Baltimore: Effects of breastfeeding initiation and continuation.Journal of Human Lactation. 1998; 14: 15-22
- WIC and breastfeeding support services: Does the mix of services offered vary with race and ethnicity?.Breastfeeding Medicine. 2011; 6: 401-406
- An activist looks at nursing's role in health policy development.Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing. 2001; 30: 546-551
- The differential impact of WIC peer counseling programs on breastfeeding initiation across the state of Maryland.Journal of Human Lactation. 2009; 25: 435-443
- Effect of peer counselors on breastfeeding initiation, exclusivity, and duration among low-income urban women.Journal of Human Lactation. 1994; 10: 11-15
- Lower breastfeeding rates among supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children participants: A call for action.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 1432-1433
- Breastfeeding rates in the United States by characteristics of the child, mother, or family: The 2002 National Immunization Survey.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 31-37
Marcus, R. (2010). Lobbying fight over infant formula highlights budget gridlock. The Washington Post. Retrieved from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/13/AR2010071304634.html
National WIC Association Position Paper. Retrieved from http://www.paramountcommunication.com/nwica/BreastfeedingPromotionandSupportintheWICProgram.pdf.
National WIC Association National Breastfeeding Strategic Plan, Retrieved rom http://www.paramountcommunication.com/nwica/NationalBreastfeedingStrategicPlan.pdf.
Neuberger, Z. (2010). WIC food package should be based on science: Foods with new functional ingredients should be provided only if they deliver health or nutritional benefits. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities Washington, DC.
- A randomized controlled community-based trial to improve breastfeeding rates among urban low-income mothers.Academic Pediatrics. 2010; 10: 14-20
- Recent declines in breastfeeding in the United States.Pediatrics. 1991; 88: 719-727
- Lower breastfeeding rates persist among the special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants and children participants, 1978-2003.Pediatrics. 2006; 117: 1136-1146
- Knowledge, perceptions, and attitudes of managers, coworkers, and employed breastfeeding mothers.American Association of Occupational Health Nurses Journal. 2008; 56: 423-429
United States Breastfeeding Committee (2008). Protect, Promote, and Support Breastfeeding Through Legislation. Retrieved from http://www.usbreastfeeding.org/Portals/0/Publications/State-Legislation-White-Paper-2008-USBC.pdf.
USDA (2012a). Food and Nutrition Service. Retrieved from http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/WICFoodCosts/FY2005/FY2005.pdf.
USDA (2012b). Nutrition Program Facts Food and Nutrition Services. Retrieved from http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/wic-fact-sheet.pdf.
USDA (2012c). Food and Nutrition Service. Retrieved from http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/breastfeeding/bfrequirements.HTM.
- Enhancing breastfeeding initiation in adolescent mothers through the Breastfeeding Educated and Supported Teen (BEST) club.Journal of Human Lactation. 2000; 16: 196-200
- Common reasons why peer education fails.Journal of Adolescence. 1999; 22: 573-577
- A randomized controlled trial of breastfeeding support and education for adolescent mothers.Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2010; 33: 486-505
Weimer, J. (2001). The economic benefits of breastfeeding: A review and analysis (Food AssistanceNutr Res Rep No. [FANRR13]:20). USDA.
Yun, S., Qian, L., Mertzlufft, K., Kruse, C., White, M., Fuller, P. & Zhu, B. (2009)Evaluation of the Missouri WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children) breast-feeding peer counseling programme. Public Health Nutrition, 13(2), 229-237.
Supported by the National Institute of Nursing Research (T32NR009759) and the Corrine M. Barnes Award.