Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
American Academy of Family Physicians. (2012). Primary care for the 21st century: Ensuring a quality physician-led team for every patient. Retrieved from http://www.aafp.org/dam/AAFP/documents/about_us/initiatives/AAFP-PCMHWhitePaper.pdf.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners. (2013). 2013 nurse practitioner state practice environment. Retrieved from http://www.aanp.org/legislation-regulation/state-practice-environment.
- AMA scope of practice data series: Nurse practitioners.American Medical Association, Chicago2009
APRN Joint Dialogue Group. (2008). Consensus model for APRN regulation: Licensure, accreditation, certification & education. Retrieved from https://www.ncsbn.org/4213.htm.
- Nurse-managed health centers and patient-centered medical homes could mitigate expected primary care physician shortage.Health Affairs. 2013; 32: 1933-1941
California Health Care Foundation. (2014). US health care spending: Who pays. Retrieved from http://www.chcf.org/publications/2013/09/data-viz-hcc-national.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2013). Annual number (in thousands) of new cases of diagnosed diabetes among adults aged 18–79 years, United States, 1980-2011. Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/incidence/fig1.htm.
- Perspectives of physicians and nurse practitioners on primary care practice.New England Journal of Medicine. 2013; 368: 1898-1906
- It is time to restructure health professions scope-of-practice regulations to remove barriers to care.Health Affairs. 2013; 32: 1971-1976
- Nurse practitioners aiding frail elderly through home visits.Home Health Care Management & Practice. 2013; 25: 212-216
Gilman, D. J., & Koslov, T. I. (2014). Policy perspectives: Competition and the regulation of advanced practice nurses. Retrieved from http://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/policy-perspectives-competition-regulation-advanced-practice-nurses/140307aprnpolicypaper.pdf.
- Statistics.Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York1988
- Systematic review of whether nurse practitioners working in primary care can provide equivalent care to doctors.British Medical Journal. 2002; 324: 819-823
- The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
Kaiser Family Foundation. (2014). Retrieved from http://kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/.
- Reducing hospitalizations from long-term care settings.Medical Care Research and Review. 2008; 64: 40-66
- The states with the least restrictive regulations experienced the largest increase in patients seen by nurse practitioners.Health Affairs. 2013; 32: 1236-1243
- Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2005; 4 (Art. No.: CD001271): 1-41
- Primary care outcomes in patients treated by nurse practitioners or physicians: Two-year follow-up.Medical Care Research and Review. 2004; 61: 332-351
- Primary care outcomes in patients treated by nurse practitioners or physicians.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2000; 283: 59-68
- Retrieved from) (
- The role of nurse practitioners in reinventing primary care.Health Affairs. 2010; 29: 893-899
- Advanced practice nurse outcomes 1990-2008: A systematic review.Nursing Economics. 2011; 29: 230-250
- Advanced practice registered nurses: The impact on patient safety and quality.in: Hughes R.G. Patient safety and quality: An evidence-based handbook for nurses. AHRQ Publication No. 08-0043, 2008: 1-20 (chapter 43. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Retrieved from)
- Nurse practitioners and national health outcomes.Missouri Nurse. 2014; 83: 13-16
- Thirty-day hospital readmission following discharge from postacute rehabilitation in fee-for-service Medicare patients.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014; 311: 604-614
- Projecting US primary care physician workforce needs: 2010-2025.Annals of Family Medicine. 2012; 10: 503-509
- After 20 years, APNs are still standing together.Nurse Practitioner. 2008; 33: 10-13
- Initiative to test a multidisciplinary model with advanced practice nurses to reduce avoidable hospitalizations among nursing facility residents.Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 2013; 29: 1-8
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (2013). Improving patient access to high quality care. Retrieved from http://www.rwjf.org/en/research-publications/find-rwjf-research/2009/01/charting-nursings-future-archives/improving-patient-access-to-high-quality-care.html.
- Health care dollars and regulatory sense: The role of advanced practice nursing.The Yale Journal of Regulation. 1992; 9: 417-488
- Medicare-Medicaid eligible beneficiaries and potentially avoidable hospitalizations.Medicare & Medicaid Research Review. 2014; 4: E1-E13
Traczynski, J. & Udalova, V. (2013, April). Nurse practitioner independence, health care utilization, and health outcomes. Paper presented at the Fourth Annual Midwest Health Economics Conference, Madison, WI.
United Health Foundation. (2012). America's health rankings: A call to action for individuals and their communities (23rd ed.). Retrieved from http://www.americashealthrankings.org/.
- Nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and certified nurse-midwives: A policy analysis. (Health Technology Case Study 37), OTA-hcs-37.U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC1986
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2013). How the healthcare law benefits you. Retrieved from http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/bystate/Making-a-Difference-National.html.
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. (2014). Strategic plan and priorities. Retrieved from http://www.hhs.gov/strategic-plan/priorities.html.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General. (2013). Medicare nursing home resident hospitalization rates merit additional monitoring. (OEI-06–00040). Retrieved from https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-11-00040.asp.