- •Education entertainment was for conversations on diversity and inclusion.
- •Self-knowledge is critical for a diverse and inclusive environment.
- •Forum allowed participants to connect to diversity issues.
- •Program participants planned actions to respond to various social issues.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
- Improving cross-cultural care and antiracism in nursing education: A literature review.Nurse Education Today. 2010; 30: 314-320
- Development and evaluation of a teaching and learning approach in cross-cultural care and antidiscrimination in university nursing students.Nurse Education Today. 2013; 33: 1592-1598
- Everybody loves…babies.([motion picture]) Focus Features, United States2010
- Multicultural education: Characteristics and goals.in: Banks J.A. McGee Banks C.A. Multicultural education: Issues and perspectives. 7th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2010: 3-32
- Americans with disabilities: 2010. Household economic studies: Current population reports.2012 (Retrieved from)
- Dallas buyer's club.([motion picture]) Focus Features, United States2013
- A place at the table.([motion picture]) Magnolia Pictures, United States2012
- The elephant man.([motion picture]) Brooksfilms, United States1980
- Managing cultural diversity: Implications for cultural competitiveness.The Executive. 1991; 5: 45-56
Do, A. (2012, September 18). Filipino nurses win language discrimination settlement. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/18/local/la-me-english-only-20120918
- The velvet rage: Overcoming the pain of growing up gay in a straight man's world.Da Capo Press, Boston, MA2005
- The quality-caring model©: Blending dual paradigms.Advances in Nursing Science. 2003; 26: 77-88
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning nurses' experiences in the workplace.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2011; 27: 237-244
- Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet: A novel.Ballantine Books, New York City, NY2009
- Testing the efficacy of brief multicultural education interventions in white college students.Journal of Diversity in Higher Education. 2016; 9: 158-169
- Special report: 3.4% of the U.S. adults identify as LGBT.2012 (Retrieved from)
- American Academy of Nursing Expert Panel report: Developing cultural competence to eliminate health disparities in ethnic minorities and other vulnerable populations.Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2007; 18: 95-102
Gonzalez-Guarda, R. M. (2015, February 3). Where are the Hispanic/Latino nurses? Promoting diversity and inclusion of Hispanic/Latino nurses to obtain health equity for all. Paper presented at the meeting of the College of Nursing Diversity Advisory Council, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- Continuing the conversation in nursing on race and racism.Nursing Outlook. 2013; 61: 164-173
- Having influence: Faculty of color having influence in schools of nursing.Nursing Outlook. 2013; 61: 153-163
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing position statement: Diversity and inclusion.2015, December 10 (Retrieved from)http://www.aacn.nche.edu/downloads/meetings/2016/spring/AACN-Diversity-and-Inclusion-Position-Statement.pdf
- Summary. The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011: 1-15
Jaja, C. (2015, April 13). Working in an Ebola treatment center in Sierra Leone: Experience of a clinical volunteer. Paper presented at the meeting of the College of Nursing Diversity Advisory Council, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- Mapping the intersection of campus cultures and equitable outcomes among racially diverse student populations.in: Museus S.D. Jayakumar U.M. Creating campus cultures: Fostering success among racially diverse student populations. Routledge, New York City, NY2012: 1-27
- There are no children here: The story of two boys growing up in the other America.Anchor Books, New York City, NY1991
- The benefits and barriers toward diversity inclusion regarding agricultural science teachers in Texas secondary agricultural education programs.Journal of Agricultural Education. 2011; 52: 140-150
- Naturalistic inquiry.SAGE Publications, Newbury Park, CA1985
- A historical perspective of cultural competence.Ethnicity and Inequalities in Health and Social Care. 2008; 1: 5-8
Merriam-Webster.com. (2015). Racism. Retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism.
- A ‘fire in the belly’ for change: A psychologist takes on the job of leading the nation's oldest mental health advocacy group.Monitor. 2006; 37: 28
- The U.S. Nursing Workforce: Trends in supply and education.Health Resources and Services Administration, Washington, DC2013 (Retrieved from)
- Annual Survey of Schools of Nursing, Academic Year 2013-2014.2016 (Retrieved from)http://www.nln.org/newsroom/nursing-education-statistics/annual-survey-of-schools-of-nursing-academic-year-2013-2014
- Strategic action plan.2012 (Retrieved from)
- Leadership, diversity and inclusion: Insights from scholarship.Research Center from Leadership in Action at NYU Wagner, New York City, NY2011 (Retrieved from)
- Public stigma and self-stigma: Differential association with attitudes toward formal and informal help seeking.Psychiatric Services. 2014; 65: 232-238
- Nurses' perceptions regarding health care and the poor.Psychological Reports. 1989; 65: 1043-1052
- United States nurse practitioner students' attitudes, perceptions, and beliefs working with the uninsured.Nurse Education in Practice. 2014; 14: 591-597
- Factors related to homophobia among nursing students.Journal of Homosexuality. 2015; 62: 1228-1240
- The quiet room: A journey out of torment and madness.Warner Books, New York City, NY1994
- Addressing whiteness in nursing education: The Sociopolitical Climate Project at the University of Washington School of nursing.Advances in Nursing Science. 2010; 33: 244-255
- Rolling back: Through a life disabled.CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, San Bernardino, CA2014
- Inclusion and diversity in work groups: A review and model for future research.Journal of Management. 2011; 37: 1262-1289
- The effects of entertainment-education. Entertainment-education: A communication strategy for social change.Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ1999: 143-179
- Health professional students' cultural competence and attitudes toward the poor: The influence of a clinical practicum supported by the National Health Service Corps.Journal of Allied Health. 2005; 34: 56-62
- The help: A novel.G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York City, NY2009
- Sex, race and ethnic diversity of U.S. health occupations (2010-2012).Author, Rockville, Maryland2014
- Results from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Mental health findings.(NSDUH series H-47, HHS publication no. (SMA) 13-4805) Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2013 (Retrieved from)
University of Cincinnati College of Nursing. (2015). Diversity. Retrieved from http://nursing.uc.edu/about_us/diversity.html
- Students aren't letting higher education or legislators off the hook.INSIGHT into Diversity. 2016; 86: 25-29
- White like me: Reflections on race from a privileged son.Soft Skull Press, Berkeley, CA2008