- •Significant limitations exist in reports of pillboxes in adherence interventions.
- •Pillbox study translation to practice should rely on reported, not assumed intervention components.
- •It is important to assess how control groups adhere to the control condition.
- •Receiving or enacting treatments is as important as reporting attrition.
- •The five components of intervention fidelity are underreported in pillbox studies.
- •It is unclear how to best enact pillboxes to support medication adherence behaviors.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
- The effectiveness of four education strategies in the elderly.Drug Intelligence & Clinical Pharmacy. 1984; 18: 926-931
- Rethinking adherence: A health literacy-informed model of medication self-management.Journal of Health Communication. 2013; 18: 20-30
- Improving the quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials: The CONSORT statement.JAMA. 1996; 276: 637-639
- Effect of drug reminder packaging on medication adherence: A systematic review revealing research gaps.Systematic Reviews. 2014; 3: 29
- A new tool to assess treatment fidelity and evaluation of treatment fidelity across 10 years of health behavior research.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2005; 73: 852
- Take Control of Your Blood pressure (TCYB) study: A multifactorial tailored behavioral and educational intervention for achieving blood pressure control.Patient Education and Counseling. 2008; 70: 338-347
- Evaluation of an interdisciplinary compliance service for elderly hypertensives.Journal of Geriatric Drug Therapy. 1986; 1: 23-51
- Patient-focused intervention to improve long-term adherence to evidence-based medications: A randomized trial.American Heart Journal. 2012; 163: 657-665.e1
- Packaging interventions to increase medication adherence: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Current Medical Research and Opinion. 2015; 31: 145-160
- Drug compliance in elderly hospital in-patients. Trial of the Dosett box.The Practitioner. 1980; 224: 782-785
- Randomized trial of an adherence programme for clients with HIV.International Journal of STD & AIDS. 2003; 14: 805-809
- Effect of pharmacist-led patient education on glycemic control of type 2 diabetes: A randomized controlled trial.Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2011; 16: 43-49
- Randomized controlled feasibility trial of two telemedicine medication reminder systems for older adults with heart failure.Journal of Telemedicine & Telecare. 2014; 20: 293-299
- Impact of a patient education program on adherence to HIV medication.Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2003; 34: 191-194
- Medication adherence in schizophrenia: Factors influencing adherence and consequences of nonadherence, a systematic literature review.Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. 2013; 3: 200-218
- Impact of pill organizers and blister packs on adherence to pill taking in two vitamin supplementation trials.American Journal of Epidemiology. 2000; 152: 780-787
- Progression of chronic kidney disease: The role of blood pressure control, proteinuria, and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition: A patient-level meta-analysis.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2003; 139: 244-252
- Predictors of medication adherence in patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2013; 127: 23-33
- Brief behavioral self-regulation counseling for HIV treatment adherence delivered by cell phone: An initial test of concept trial.AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2011; 25: 303-310
Kennedy, L. M. (1990). The effectiveness of a self-care medication education protocol on the home medication behaviors of recently hospitalized elderly. PhD thesis. The University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA.
- Effect of a pharmacist intervention on clinically important medication errors after hospital discharge: A randomized trial.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012; 157: 1-10
- Case management in a heterogeneous congestive heart failure population: A randomized controlled trial.Archives of Internal Medicine. 2003; 163: 809-817
- A randomized controlled trial of an enhanced patient compliance program for Helicobacter pylori therapy.Archives of Internal Medicine. 1999; 159: 2312-2316
- Further development and evaluation of an individualized intervention for increasing adherence to HIV medications.University of Nevada, Reno, NV2006
- The use of adherence aids by adults with diabetes: A cross-sectional survey.BMC Family Practice. 2006; 7: 1
- Improving drug compliance after hospital discharge.British Medical Journal. 1977; 2: 618-621
- A comparison of patient adherence and preference of packaging method for oral anticancer agents using conventional pill bottles versus daily pill boxes.European Journal of Cancer Care. 2007; 16: 380-386
- Effect of a pocket-size tablet-dispensing device on glycaemic control in type 2 diabetic patients.Diabetic Medicine. 2006; 23: 40-45
- Enhancing adherence to combination antiretroviral therapy in non-adherent HIV-positive men.AIDS Care. 2000; 12: 399-404
- Randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of a self-care intervention to improve cancer pain management.Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2004; 22: 1713-1720
- Strategies to improve medication adherence reported by diabetes patients and caregivers: Results of a taking control of your diabetes survey.Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2011; 45: 145-153
- Impact of a tailored patient preference intervention in adherence to 5-aminosalicylic acid medication in ulcerative colitis: Results from an exploratory randomized controlled trial.Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. 2011; 17: 1874-1881
- Medication compliance in elderly outpatients using twice-daily dosing and unit-of-use packaging.The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 1993; 27: 616-621
- Effect of a warfarin adherence aid on anticoagulation control in an inner-city anticoagulation clinic population.The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2009; 43: 1165-1172
- Medication adherence behaviors in older adults: Effects of external cognitive supports.Psychology and Aging. 1992; 7: 252-256
- A randomised trial of strategies to improve patient compliance with anticonvulsant therapy.Epilepsia. 1984; 25: 412-417
- Impact of a pill box clinic to improve systolic blood pressure in veterans with uncontrolled hypertension taking 3 or more antihypertensive medications.Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy. 2014; 20: 905-911
- Improving medication compliance by counseling and special prescription container.American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy. 1980; 37: 379-385
- Renal function and requirement for dialysis in chronic nephropathy patients on long-term ramipril: REIN follow-up trial. Gruppo Italiano di Studi Epidemiologici in Nefrologia (GISEN). Ramipril Efficacy in Nephropathy.The Lancet. 1998; 352: 1252-1256
- Acceptance of telemonitoring to enhance medication compliance in patients with chronic heart failure.Telemedicine and e-Health. 2008; 14: 426-433
- Study on the use of a smart pillbox to improve treatment compliance.Atencion Primaria/Sociedad Espanola de Medicina de Familia y Comunitaria. 2009; 41: 185-191
- Effect of diabetes drug counseling by pharmacist, diabetic disease booklet and special medication containers on glycemic control of type 2 diabetes mellitus: A randomized controlled trial.Journal-Medical Association of Thailand. 2005; 88: S134-S141
- The impact of the clinical pharmacist on compliance in a geriatric population.Pharmaceutical Journal. 1989; 242: R4-R6
- Improving primary care in rural Alabama with a pharmacy initiative.American Journal of Health System Pharmacy. 2003; 60: 1123-1129
- A self-medication administration program for transplant recipients.Critical Care Nurse. 1997; 17: 71-79
- A multicenter disease management program for hospitalized patients with heart failure.Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2004; 10: 473-480
- Interventions to improve adherence to self-administered medications for chronic diseases in the United States: A systematic review.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012; 157: 785-795
- A new taxonomy for describing and defining adherence to medications.British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2012; 73: 691-705
- Effects of nurse-delivered home visits combined with telephone calls on medication adherence and quality of life in HIV-infected heroin users in Hunan of China.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010; 19: 380-388
- Multiple chronic conditions among US adults: A 2012 update.Preventing Chronic Disease. 2014; 11: 130389
- Effectiveness of different medication management approaches on elders' medication adherence.Outcomes Management for Nursing Practice. 2000; 4: 172-176
- Does packaging with a calendar feature improve adherence to self-administered medication for long-term use? A systematic review.Clinical Therapeutics. 2011; 33: 62-73
- Hypertension outcomes through blood pressure monitoring and evaluation by pharmacists (HOME study).Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005; 20: 1091-1096
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.