- •Over the last 15 years, racial and ethnic diversity has steadily increased in the nursing workforce.
- •Nursing Workforce Diversity (NWD) appears to be increasing faster than it is in the United States (U.S.) population.
- •Bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN)-prepared nurses continue to increase while a trend indicates Associate Degree (AS) nurses are leveling off.
- •Hispanic registered nurses (RNs) had the greatest increase in baccalaureate and graduate education from 2000 to 2015.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The changing landscape: Nursing student diversity on the rise. Policy Brief.(Retrieved from)http://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/Diversity/Student-Diversity.pdf?ver=2017-08-02-165349-913Date: 2016
- Recent changes in the number of nurses graduating from undergraduate and graduate programs.Nursing Economics. 2016; 34: 46-48
- Projections of the Size and Composition of the U.S. population: 2014 to 2060, Current Population Reports.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington DC2015: 25-1143 (Retrieved from)
- Disparities in human resources: Addressing the lack of diversity in the health professions.Health Affairs. 2008; 27: 413-422
- Unequal treatment: Confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2002
- In the nation's compelling interest: Ensuring diversity in the health care workforce.1st ed. National Academics Press, Washington, DC2004
- The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health.National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC2011
- Minority Nurse Faculty Scholars program.(Retrieved from)http://www.aacnnursing.org/Students/Scholarships-Financial-Aid/Minority-Nurse-Faculty-ScholarshipDate: 2017
- Exam Statistics and Publications.(Retrieved from)
- Priority setting for healthcare performance measurement: Addressing performance measure gaps for the health workforce.(Retrieved from)http://www.qualityforum.org/Publications/2014/08/Priority_Setting_for_Healthcare_Performance_Measurement__Addressing_Performance_Measure_Gaps_for_the_Health_Workforce.aspxDate: 2014
- Revisions to the standards for the classification of federal data on race and ethnicity.(Retrieved from)
- Future of Nursing Scholars.(Retrieved from)http://futureofnursingscholars.org/Date: 2017
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Careers in Nursing.(Retrieved from)
- Missing persons: Minorities in the health professions: A report of the Sullivan Commission on Diversity in the Healthcare Workforce.The Sullivan Commission, Washington, DC2004 (Retrieved from)
- Design and Methodology: American Community Survey.(Retrieved from)
- Quick Facts.(Retrieved from)
- A national agenda for nursing workforce racial and ethnic diversity. A report prepared by the National Advisory Council for Nursing Education and Practice (NACNEP).(Rockville, MD; Retrieved from)2000
- The rationale for diversity in the health professions: A review of the evidence.(Retrieved from)
- Achieving health equity through nursing workforce diversity. A report prepared by the National Advisory Council for Nursing Education and Practice (NACNEP).(Rockville, MD; Retrieved from)2013
- Sex, Race, and Ethnic Diversity of U.S, Health Occupations (2011–2015).(Rockville, Maryland; Retrieved from)2017
- Standard Occupational Classification.(Retrieved from)https://www.bls.gov/soc/Date: 2017
Disclaimer: The views, analyses, and conclusions expressed in this paper are those of the authors and should not be construed as the official position or policy of HRSA, HHS, or the U.S. Government.