- •Including newer data approaches can improve precision health decisions.
- •Omics in research may lead to better assessment and management to improve care.
- •Electronic sensors allow real-time monitoring of behavior and biology in research.
- •Geospatial data provide an important lens to improve precision health approaches.
- •Broader understanding of the complexity of human health and illness will inform health care policy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
- Circadian disruption and human health: A bidirectional relationship.The European Journal of Neuroscience. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1111/ejn.14298
- Is serotonin an upper or a downer? The evolution of the serotonergic system and its role in depression and the antidepressant response.Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 2015; 51: 164-188
- Neighborhoods, daily activities, and measuring health risks experienced in urban environments.Social Science & Medicine. 2010; 71: 1943-1950
- Integrative analysis strategies for mixed data sources.American Behavioral Scientist. 2012; 56: 814-828
- Integrative analysis in mixed methods research.Sage, London2018
- Mixed methods in my bones”: Transcending the qualitative-quantitative divide.International Journal of Multiple Research Approaches. 2018; 10: 334-341
- Health implications of disrupted circadian rhythms and the potential for daylight as therapy.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 1170-1175
- Urban-rural shifts in intentional firearm death: Different causes, same results.American Journal of Public Health. 2004; 94: 1750-1755
- Sometimes doing the right thing sucks: Frame combinations and multi-fetal pregnancy reduction decision difficulty.Social Science & Medicine. 2007; 65: 2342-2356
- Barriers to integrating quantitative and qualitative research.Journal of Mixed Methods Research. 2007; 1: 8-22
- Capturing the social location of African American mothers living with HIV: An inquiry into how social determinants of health are framed.Nursing Research. 2017; 66: 209-221
- Fundamental patterns of knowing in nursing.Advances in Nursing Science. 1978; 1: 13-24
- Influence of life stress on depression: Moderation by a polymorphism in the 5-HTT gene.Science. 2003; 301: 386-389
- Convergence of implementation science, precision medicine, and the learning health care system: A new model for biomedical research.Journal of American Medical Association. 2016; 315: 1941-1942
Corwin, E., Dunlop, A. L., Fernandes, J., Li, S., Pearce, B., & Jones, D. P. (2018). Metabolites and metabolic pathways associated with chronic stress exposure in pregnant African American women. Under Review.
- BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017; 17: 395
- Designing and conducting mixed methods research.Sage Publications, Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA2011
- Racial disparity in previable birth.American Journal of Obstetics & Gynecology. 2016; 214 (394.e1–394.e7)
- The microbiome-gut-brain axis in health and disease.Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2017; 46: 77-89
- Visualization of multidimensional data in nursing science.Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2017; 39: 112-126
- Novel correlates of depressive symptoms in family caregivers of heart failure patients.Circulation. 2016; 134: A12706
- Revisiting the serotonin hypothesis: Implications for major depressive disorders.Molecular Neurobiology. 2016; 53: 2778-2786
- Achieving integration in mixed methods designs.Health Services Research. 2013; 48: 2134-2156
- Sleep and glycemia in adolescents with type 1 diabetes.Diabetes. 2018; 67: A212
- The health status and well-being of low-resource, housing-unstable, single-parent families living in violent neighbourhoods in Philadelphia.Pennsylvania. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12345
Jeon, S., Conley, S., & Redeker, N. S. (2018). Rest-activity rhythms, sleep disturbance, and functional performance in people with stable heart failure. Under Review.
- Discrepancy between wrist-actigraph and polysomnographic measures of sleep in patients with stable heart failure and a novel approach to evaluating discrepancy.Journal of Sleep Research. 2019; 28: e12717
- The serotonin transporter promoter variant (5-HTTLPR), stress, and depression meta-analysis revisited: Evidence of genetic moderation.Archives of General Psychiatry. 2011; 68: 444-454
- The twin questions of personalized medicine: Who are you and whom do you most resemble?.Genome Medicine. 2009; 1: 4
- The association between urban tree cover and gun assault: A case-control and case-crossover study.American Journal of Epidemiology. 2017; 186: 289-296
- Multiple serotonergic paths to antidepressant efficacy.Journal of Neurophysiology. 2013; 109: 2245-2249
- The new era of precision population health: Insights for the All of Us research program and beyond.Journal of Translational Medicine. 2018; 16https://doi.org/10.1186/s12967-018-1585-5
- Births: Final data for 2016.National Vital Statistical Report. 2018; 67: 1-55
- The “silo problem” in mixed methods research.International Journal of Multiple Research Approaches. 2018; 10: 317-327
- Ethics of the health-related internet of things: A narrative review.Ethics and Information Technology. 2017; 19: 157-175
- NINR strategic plan.National Institute of Nursing Research, Bethesda, MD2016
- Caregiving demands and appraisal of stress among family caregivers.Cancer Nursing. 1989; 12: 209-215
- Three techniques for integrating data in mixed methods studies.British Medical Journal. 2010; 341: c4587
- Genotyping serotonin transporter polymorphisms 5-HTTLPR and rs25531 in European- and African-American subjects from the National Institute of Mental Health's Collaborative Center for Genomic Studies.Translational Psychiatry. 2013; 3: e307
- A framework for analyzing data in mixed methods research.in: Tashakkori A. Teddlie, C C. Handbook of mixed methods in social and behavioral research. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2003: 321-350
- Sleep, biological stress, and health among toddlers living in socioeconomically disadvantaged homes: A research protocol.Research in Nursing & Health. 2017; 40: 489-500
- A self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Applied Psychological Measurement. 1977; 1: 385-401
- Interaction between the serotonin transporter gene (5-HTTLPR), stressful life events, and risk of depression: A meta-analysis.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2009; 301: 2462-2471
- Women's patterns of activity over 6 months after coronary artery bypass surgery.Heart & Lung. 1995; 24: 502-511
- First postoperative week activity patterns and recovery in women after coronary artery bypass surgery.Nursing Research. 1994; 43: 168-173
- The faces of personalized medicine: A framework for understanding its meaning and scope.Value in Health. 2013; 16: S4-S9
- Some lingering concerns about the precision medicine initiative.Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 2016; 44: 520-525
- Between the general and the unique. Overcoming the nomothetic versus idiographic opposition.Theory & Psychology. 2010; 20: 817-833
- Unmixing mixed-methods research.Research in Nursing and Health. 2014; 37: 3-8
- Mixed method data analysis: An exploratory approach to strengthening inferences about relationships and affinities.International Journal of Multiple Research Approaches. 2018; 10: 57-76
- Current practices and emerging trends in conducting mixed methods intervention studies in the health sciences.in: Tashakkori A. Teddlie C. Sage handbook of mixed methods in social & behavioral research. 2nd ed. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2010: 725-747
- The effect of microneighborhood conditions on adult educational attainment in a subsidized housing intervention.Housing Policy Debate. 2016; 26: 380-397
- Mapping activity patterns to quantify risk of violent assault in urban environments.Epidemiology. 2016; 27: 32-41
- The infant microbiome: Implications for infant health and neurocognitive development.Nursing Research. 2016; 65: 76-88