- •Articles in predatory journals should not be cited.
- •Citations of predatory articles transfer the information into scientific literature.
- •There were 814 citations to articles published in predatory nursing journals.
- •Predatory journal articles were cited in all types of nonpredatory nursing journals.
- •Nurse authors, reviewers, and editors must be able to identify predatory articles.
- Open access medical journals: Promise, perils, and pitfalls.Academic Medicine. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000002563
Beall J. (2016). Beall's list of predatory publishers 2016 [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://scholarlyoa.com/2016/01/05/bealls-list-of-predatory-publishers-2016/
- The undercover academic keeping tabs on ‘predatory’ publishing.Nature. 2018, March 16; 555: 422-423
Clarivate Analytics. (2019). InCites Journal Citation Reports. Retrieved from https://jcr-incites-thomsonreuters-com.proxy.lib.duke.edu/JCRJournalHomeAction.action
- What is a predatory journal? A scoping review.F1000Res. 2018; 7: 1001https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.15256.2
- Predatory open-access publishing in anesthesiology.Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1213/ane.0000000000003803
- Predatory open-access publishing in critical care medicine.Journal of Critical Care. 2018; 50: 247-249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2018.12.016
- Avoiding predatory journals: Quick peer review processes too good to be true.Nursing Forum. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12333
Elsevier. (2017, August). Scopus. Content Coverage Guide. Retrieved fromhttps://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/69451/0597-Scopus-Content-Coverage-Guide-US-LETTER-v4-HI-singles-no-ticks.pdf
- Negative effects of “predatory” journals on global health research.Annals of Global Health. 2018; 84: 584-589https://doi.org/10.29024/aogh.2389
- Are predatory journals undermining the credibility of science? A bibliometric analysis of citers.Scientometrics. 2017; 113: 1513-1528https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-017-2520-x
- Exploring an unknown territory: “Sleeping Beauties” in the nursing research literature.Nursing Research. 2017; 66: 359-367https://doi.org/10.1097/nnr.0000000000000238
- Characteristics of e-mail solicitations from predatory nursing journals and publishers.Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 2018; 49: 171-177https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20180320-07
- How predatory journals leak into PubMed.CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2018; 190: e1042-e1045https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.180154
- False gold: Safely navigating open access publishing to avoid predatory publishers and journals.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2018; 74: 809-817https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13483
- Predatory journals spamming for publications: What should researchers do.Science and Engineering Ethics. 2018; 24: 1617-1639https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-017-9955-6
- Predatory journals in library databases: How much should we worry.The Serials Librarian. 2015; 69: 169-192https://doi.org/10.1080/0361526X.2015.1080782
- A bibliometric analysis of 81 articles that represent excellence in nursing publication.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2018; 74: 2894-2903https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13835
- Penetration of Nigerian predatory biomedical open access journals 2007-2012: A bibiliometric study.Learned Publishing. 2015; 28: 23-34https://doi.org/10.1087/20150105
- Study of predatory open access nursing journals.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2016; 48: 624-632https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12248
- Quality of articles published in predatory nursing journals.Nursing Outlook. 2017; 66: 4-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2017.05.005
- Dissemination of research into clinical nursing literature.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2010; 19: 3435-3442https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03427.x
- Plagiarism in predatory publications: A comparative study of three nursing journals.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2019; 51: 356-363https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12475
- Problems and challenges of predatory journals.Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2018; 32: 1441-1449https://doi.org/10.1111/jdv.15039
- Predatory publications in evidence syntheses.Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2019; 107: 57-61https://doi.org/10.5195/jmla.2019.491
- Potential predatory and legitimate biomedical journals: Can you tell the difference? A cross-sectional comparison.BMC Medicine. 2017; 15: 28https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-0785-9
- 'Predatory' open access: A longitudinal study of article volumes and market characteristics.BMC Medicine. 2015; 13: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0469-2
- Peer review quality and transparency of the peer-review process in open access and subscription journals.PloS One. 2016; 11e0147913https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0147913
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.