- •Burnout and secondary traumatic stress are widespread among nurses.
- •We report on a randomized controlled trial of a new sensory mindfulness model.
- •Over 1/3 of nurses had high rates of poor mental health, secondary stress, and burnout.
- •The intervention group showed improved well-being, resiliency, and secondary stress.
- •Healthcare organizations must support institutional and individual resiliency.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
American Nurses Association. (2019). Healthy nurse healthy nation. Retrieved May 14, 2019, from ANA website: https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/work-environment/health-safety/healthy-nurse-healthy-nation/
- Impact of burnout and psychosocial work characteristics on future long-term sickness absence. Prospective results of the Danish PUMA Study among human service workers.Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2010; 52: 964-970
- CONSORT NPT Group. CONSORT Statement for Randomized Trials of Nonpharmacologic Treatments: A 2017 Update and a CONSORT Extension for Nonpharmacologic Trial Abstracts.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 40-47https://doi.org/10.7326/M17-0046
- Prevalence of secondary traumatic stress among social workers.Social Work. 2007; 52: 63-70
- Psychometric analysis and refinement of the Connor–Davidson resilience scale (CD-RISC): Validation of a 10-item measure of resilience.Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2007; 20: 1019-1028
Centers for Disease Control. (2018). Well-being concepts | HRQOL | CDC. Retrieved May 14, 2019, fromhttps://www.cdc.gov/hrqol/wellbeing.htm
- A longitudinal examination of the association between nurse staffing levels, the practice environment and nurse-sensitive patient outcomes in hospitals.BMC Health Services Research. 2015; 15: 538
- Stress management interventions for nurses: Critical literature review.Journal of Holistic Nursing. 2019; 898010119842693
- Exploration of the association between nurses’ moral distress and secondary traumatic stress syndrome: Implications for patient safety in mental health services.BioMed Research International. 2017; 2017: 1-19
- Nurse staffing, burnout, and health care–associated infection.American Journal of Infection Control. 2012; 40: 486-490
- Final CRM Innovation Evaluation Report.(September) Trauma Resource Institute, 2013
- The effectiveness of interventions to improve resilience among health professionals: A systematic review.Nurse Education Today. 2018; 71: 247-263
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.2nd ed. N.J: L. Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale1988
Davidson, J. (2018). The Connor-Davidson Resilience Scale (CD-RISC). Retrieved May 14, 2019, from http://www.connordavidson-resiliencescale.com/faq.php.
- Suicide prevention: A healer education and referral program for nurses.The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2018; 48: 85-92
- Nurse suicide: Breaking the silence. NAM Perspectives. Discussion Paper.National Academy of Medicine, Washington, Dc2018 (https://doi.org/10.31478/201801a)
- Workplace resilience and emotional labour of Australian mental health nurses: Results of a national survey.International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2019; (inm.12598)
- Early career experiences and perceptions—A qualitative exploration of the turnover of young registered nurses and intention to leave the nursing profession in Finland.Journal of Nursing Management. 2015; 23: 1050-1057
- The somatic symptom scale–8 (SSS-8): A brief measure of somatic symptom burden.JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014; 174: 399
- Assessing somatic symptom burden: A psychometric comparison of the patient health questionnaire-15 (PHQ-15) and the somatic symptom scale-8 (SSS-8).Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2015; 78: 352-355
- The insular cortex.Current Biology: CB. 2017; 27: R580-R586
- Hardwiring happiness: The new brain science of contentment, calm, and confidence.First edition. Harmony Books, New York2013
- The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software platform partners.Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2019; 95103208
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.Journal of Biomedical Informatics. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Longitudinal data analysis.Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, N.J2006
- The Copenhagen Burnout Inventory: A new tool for the assessment of burnout.Work & Stress. 2005; 19: 192-207
- Mindfulness in PTSD treatment.Current Opinion in Psychology. 2017; 14: 40-43
- A case for using biologically-based mental health intervention in post-earthquake China: Evaluation of training in the trauma resiliency model.International Journal of Emergency Mental Health. 2009; 11: 221-233
- Somatic experiencing treatment with tsunami survivors in Thailand: Broadening the scope of early intervention.Traumatology. 2007; 13: 11-20
- Somatic experiencing treatment with social service workers following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.Social Work. 2009; 54: 9-18
- Original research: Nursesʼ presenteeism and its effects on self-reported quality of care and costs.American Journal of Nursing. 2012; 112: 30-38
- Waking the tiger: Healing trauma: the innate capacity to transform overwhelming experiences.North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, Calif1997
- Surviving workplace adversity: A qualitative study of nurses and midwives and their strategies to increase personal resilience.Journal of Nursing Management. 2016; 24: 123-131
- Building resilience to trauma: The trauma and community resiliency models.Taylor & Francis Group, New York: Routledge2015
- Somatic therapy treatment effects with Tsunami survivors.Traumatology. 2008; 14: 103-109
- Somatic experiencing: Using interoception and proprioception as core elements of trauma therapy.Frontiers in Psychology. 2015; 6: 93
- Building personal and professional resources of resilience and agility in the healthcare workplace: Building resilience.Stress and Health. 2012; 28: 11-22
- Burnout in United States healthcare professionals: A narrative review.Cureus. 2018;
- Mindfulness in mood and anxiety disorders: A review of the literature.Trends in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy. 2017; 39: 207-215
- Suicide among nurses: what we don't know might hurt us.American Nurse Today. 2018; 13: 10-15
- Addressing physician burnout: The way forward.JAMA. 2017; 317: 901-902
- What comes first, job burnout or secondary traumatic stress? Findings from two longitudinal studies from the U.S. and Poland.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0136730
- Promoting resilience in new perioperative nurses.AORN Journal. 2017; 105: 276-284
- The neuroscience of mindfulness meditation.Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2015; 16: 213-225
- Mindfulness meditation improves emotion regulation and reduces drug abuse.Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2016; 163: S13-S18
- Contemporary issues: Resilience training alone is an incomplete intervention.Nurse Education Today. 2019; 78: 10-13
- The WHO-5 well-being index: A systematic review of the literature.Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. 2015; 84: 167-176
- Resiliency in emergency nurses.Journal of Emergency Nursing. 2016; 42: 47-52
- Cracks in the foundation of the care environment undermine nurse resilience.The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2018; 48: 597-599
- Moving to a world beyond “ p < 0.05.The American Statistician. 2019; 73: 1-19
- Analysing qualitative data: Computerized and other approaches.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1999; 29: 323-330
- The mindful way through depression: Freeing yourself from chronic unhappiness.Guilford Press, New York2007
Funding: Sigma Theta Tau and the Mundito Foundation.