- •NINR funding for SGM research is low.
- •Most SGM research funding is for HIV/AIDS despite other known health disparities.
- •Few NINR-funded SGM research grants have been awarded to nurse principal investigators.
- •Funding nurse scientists doing SGM work could strengthen nursing science in this area.
- •SGM status should be required common data elements in all NINR-funded research.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
- Cardiovascular disease risk factors and myocardial infarction in the transgender population.Circulation. 2019; 12e005597
- Three options for citation tracking: Google Scholar, Scopus and Web of Science.Biomedical Digital Libraries. 2006; 3: 7
- Twenty years of public health research: Inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations.American Journal of Public Health. 2002; 92: 1125-1130
- Research funded by the national institutes of health on the health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations.American Journal of Public Health. 2014; 104: e105-e112
- Nursing's silence on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues: The need for emancipatory efforts.Advances in Nursing Science. 2010; 33: 206-218
- Healthy people 2010 companion document for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) health.Gay and Lesbian Medical Association, San Francisco, CA2001
- Suicide and suicide risk in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations: Review and recommendations.Journal of Homosexuality. 2011; 58: 10-51
- Lesbian health: Current assessment and directions for the future.National Academies Press, Washington, DC1999
- The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2010
- The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2011
- Sexual and gender minority health in nursing research.Nursing Outlook. 2019; 67: 21-38https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2018.10.006
National Institutes of Health (2019a) Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results (RePORTER) version 7.40.0. Retrieved: https://projectreporter.nih.gov/.
National Institutes of Health Office of Extramural Research. (2019b). Notice of special interest in research on the health of sexual and gender minority (SGM populations (NOT-MD-19-001). Retrieved from: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-MD-19-001.html.
National Institutes of Health Office of Extramural Research. (2019a). Table #106 NIH research grants and other mechanisms including research and development contracts: Number of awards and total funding by NIH institutes/centers and grant mechanism fiscal years 2009-2018. Retrieved from: https://www.report.nih.gov/DisplayRePORT.aspx?rid=569&ver=7.
Newport, F. (2018, May 22). In U.S., estimate of LGBT population rises to 4.5%. Retrieved from: http://bit.ly/31tLCF8.
- Research funding as an investment: Can we measure the returns?: A technical memorandum.US Congress, Office of Technology Assessment, Washington, DC1986 (OTA-TM-SET-36)
- Director's message: Sexual and gender minorities formally designated as a health disparity population for research purposes.U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, National Institutes of Health. 2016; (Retrieved from:)http://www.nimhd.nih.gov/about/directors-corner/message.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
- Mental health of sexual minorities. A systematic review.International Review of Psychiatry. 2015; 27: 367-385
- Coverage and quality: A comparison of Web of Science and Scopus databases for reporting faculty nursing publication metrics.Nursing Outlook. 2017; 65: 572-578
- Global health burden and needs of transgender populations: A review.The Lancet. 2016; 388: 412-436
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Coordinating Committee. (2015). NIH FY 2016-2020 strategic plan to advance research on the health and well-being of sexual and gender minorities. Retrieved from: https://www.edi.nih.gov/sites/default/files/EDI_Public_files/sgm-strategic-plan.pdf.
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office. (2015). National Institutes of Health FY 2012 sexual and gender minority health research portfolio analysis report. Retrieved from: https://www.edi.nih.gov/sites/default/files/public/EDI_Public_files/downloads/people/lgbti/sgm-research/sgm-nih-fy2012-portfolio-analysis-report.pdf.
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office. (2016). SGM Portfolio Analysis, FY 2015. Retrieved from: https://dpcpsi.nih.gov/sites/default/files/SGMRO_Portfolio_Analysis_RF5_508.pdf.
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office. (2017a). Sexual and gender minority research portfolio analysis: FY 2016. Retrieved from: https://dpcpsi.nih.gov/sites/default/files/SGMRO_2016_Portfolio_Analysis_Final_RF508_508_07192018.pdf.
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office (2017b). Sexual and gender minority research office: Annual Report, FY 2016. Retrieved from: https://dpcpsi.nih.gov/sites/default/files/NIH_OD_SGMRO_AnnualReport_RF508_FINAL3_508.pdf.
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office (2018a). Sexual and gender minority research office annual report, FY 2017. Retrieved from: https://dpcpsi.nih.gov/sites/default/files/FY2017_SGMRO_AnnualReport_RF508_FINAL_508.pdf.
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office (2018b). Methods and measurement in sexual and gender minority health research. Retrieved from: https://dpcpsi.nih.gov/sgmro/measurement.
Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office (2019). Sexual and gender minority populations in NIH-supported research. Notice number: NOT-OD-19-139: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-19-139.html.
- A qualitative study of HIV treatment adherence support from friends and family among same sex male couples.Psychological Education. 2011; 2: 318-322https://doi.org/10.4236/psych.2011.24050
The Lancet. (2016). Transgender health series. Retrieved from: https://www.thelancet.com/series/transgender-health. Accessed on July 8, 2019.
U.S Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). Office of disease prevention and health promotion. Healthy people 2020. Retrieved from: www.healthypeople.gov.