- •Both NPs and physician serve a USC role for the population. Both of them serve a supplemental role to each other.
- •Regardless of their roles, patients reported receiving more therapeutic or preventive care from NPs but more diagnostic care and biomedical treatments from physicians in the U.S. primary care settings.
- •Patients reported having similar diagnoses when seen by NPs and physicians serving in a USC role, but different diagnoses when NPs and physicians served in supplemental roles.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2019 AANP National NP Sample Survey. 2020; (Retrieved from)
- State Practice Environment. 2021; (Retrieved from)
American Association of Retired Persons. (2010). Preparation and roles of nursing care providers in America. Retrieved from http://championnursing.org/resources/preparation-and-roles-nursing-care-providers-america
- Effects of regulation and payment policies on nurse practitioners' clinical practices.Medical Care Research and Review. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558716649109
- Rural and nonrural primary care physician practices increasingly rely on nurse practitioners.Health Affairs (Millwood). 2018; 37: 908-914
- Rethinking the primary care workforce - An expanded role for nurses.The New England Journal of Medicine. 2016; 375: 1015-1017https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1606869
- RN Role Reimagined: How Empowering Registered Nurses Can Improve Primary Care.2015 (Retrieved from)
- Nurse Practitioners: A solution to America's primary care crisis.2018 (Retrieved from)
- Practice characteristics of primary care nurse practitioners and physicians.Nursing Outlook. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2014.08.008
- Reconceptualizing the core of nurse practitioner education and practice.Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2009; 21: 11-17
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2017). National Health Interview Survey. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/index.htm
- Payment regulations for advanced practice nurses: implications for primary care.Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice. 2010; 11: 89-98https://doi.org/10.1177/1527154410382458
- Access to care based on state nurse practitioner practice regulation: secondary data analysis results in the Medicare population.Journal of American Association of Nursing Practitioners. 2015; 27: 21-30https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12191
- Characterizing nurse practitioner practice by sampling patient encounters: an APRNet study.Journal of American Association of Nursing Practitioners. 2008; 20: 281-287https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2008.00318.x
- Overlap of registered nurse and physician practice: implications for U.S. health care reform.Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice. 2010; 11: 13-22https://doi.org/10.1177/1527154410365564
- The roles of primary care PAs and NPs caring for older adults with diabetes.Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants. 2014; 27: 45-49
- Role of nurse practitioners in caring for patients with complex health needs.Medical Care. 2020; 58: 853-860
Frogner, B. K., Fraher, E. P., Spetz, J., Pittman, P., Moore, J., Beck, A. J., et al. (2020). Modernizing scope-of-practice regulations—time to prioritize patients. The New England journal of medicine, 382(7), 591-593.
- Community health centers: Providers, patients, and content of care.NCHS Data Brief. 2011; 65: 1-8
- Primary health care in community health centers and comparison with office-based practice.Journal of Community Health. 2011; 36: 406-413https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-010-9322-x
- Ambulatory and chronic disease care by physician assistants and nurse practitioners.The Journal of Ambulatory Care Management. 2013; 36: 293-301
- Use of physician assistants and nurse practitioners in primary care, 1995-1999.Hospital Quaterly. 2001; 5: 32-36
- A comparison of diagnostic imaging ordering patterns between advanced practice clinicians and primary care physicians following office-based evaluation and management visits.JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.6349
- The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health.National Academies Press, 2011
- Atlanta, GA2016 Registered Nurses: Partners in Transforming Primary Care: Recommendations from the Macy Foundation Conference on Preparing Registered Nurses for Enhanced Roles in Primary Care,
- Nurse practitioners' time on nonbillable activities.Journal of American Association of Nursing Practitioners. 2018; 30: 480-490https://doi.org/10.1097/jxx.0000000000000073
- Diabetes mellitus care provided by nurse practitioners vs primary care physicians.Journal of American Geriatric Society. 2015; 63: 1980-1988https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.13662
- Nurse practitioner care model: Meeting the health care challenges with a collaborative team.Nursing Economy. 2015; 33 (quiz 305): 297-304
- The use of antibiotics for viral upper respiratory tract infections: An analysis of nurse practitioner and physician prescribing practices in ambulatory care, 1997-2001.Journal of American Association of Nursing Practitioners. 2005; 17: 416-424https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2005.00072.x
- Substitution of doctors by nurses in primary care.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2005; Cd001271https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD001271.pub2
- Characteristics of primary care office visits to nurse practitioners, physician assistants and physicians in United States Veterans Health Administration facilities, 2005 to 2010: a retrospective cross-sectional analysis.Human Resources for Health. 2012; 10: 42https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-4491-10-42
- Consensus model for APRN regulation: Licensure, accreditation, certification & education.2008 (Retrieved from)
- Practice patterns of physicians and nurse practitioners in primary care.Medical Care. 2020; 58: 934-941
- Think twice before throwing doctors to the wind.2014 (Retrieved from New York)2)
- Validating recommendations for coronary angiography following an acute myocardial infarction in the elderly: A matched analysis using propensity scores.Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2001; 54 (discussion 185-176): 387-398
- Assessing the productivity of advanced practice providers using a time and motion study.Journal of Healthcare Management. 2013; 58 (discussion 185-176): 173-185
- Comparing the cost of care provided to medicare beneficiaries assigned to primary care nurse practitioners and physicians.Health Services Research. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12425
- Nurse practitioners as primary care providers with their own patient panels and organizational structures: A cross-sectional study.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2017; 74: 1-7
- How many nurse practitioners provide primary care? It depends on how you count them.Medical Care Research and Review. 2015; 1077558715579868
- Depression screening and management among adolescents in primary care: Factors associated with best practice.Clinical Pediatrics (Phila). 2013; 52: 557-567https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922813483874
- Impact of state scope of practice laws and other factors on the practice and supply of primary care nurse practitioners: Final report.Retrieved from, Rockville, Maryland2015
Wiltse Nicely, K. L., & Fairman, J. (2015). Postgraduate nurse practitioner residency programs: Supporting transition to practice. Academic Medicine, 90(6), 707-709. doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000000567.
- Care coordination and the expansion of nursing scopes of practice.The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 2014; 42: 93-103
- Primary care workforce shortages: Nurse practitioner scope-of-practice laws and payment policies.National Institute for Health Care Reform, 2013 (Research Brief)