- •Perception of work support for family caregiving and actual support may differ.
- •Beyond Family Medical Leave Act, there seems to be little formalized family caregiver support.
- •Family caregiving may be a contributor to nurse burnout.
- •Work support for family caregiving may be related to nurse turnover intentions.
Abbreviation:DDNCG (double-duty nurse family caregiver)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
AARP & National Alliance for Caregiving. (2020). Caregiving in the U.S. (2020). Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/ppi/2020/05/full-report-caregiving-in-the-united-states.doi.10.26419-2Fppi.00103.001.pdf
AARP. (2020). Can I get paid to be a caregiver for a family member? Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/financial-legal/info-2017/you-can-get-paid-as-a-family-caregiver.html
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2019). Nursing shortage. Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/Factsheets/Nursing-Shortage-Factsheet.pdf
- Double-duty caregivers: Healthcare professionals juggling employment and informal caregiving. A survey on personal health and work experiences.Journal of advanced nursing. 2014; 70: 1604-1615https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12320
- Staff experiences of double-duty caring: at home and at work.Nursing Management. 2018; 24: 19-23https://doi.org/10.7748/nm.2018.e1686
- Lived experiences of nurses as family caregivers in advanced cancer.Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal. 2011; 22: 53-56https://doi.org/10.5737/1181912x2215356
- Nurses as family caregivers - barriers and enablers facing nurses caring for children, parents or both.Journal of Nursing Management. 2017; 25: 93-101https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12445
- Schulz, R. Eden, J. Families caring for an aging America. National Academies Press, 2016https://doi.org/10.17226/23606
- Double-duty and triple-duty caregivers.in: Gu, D. Dupre, M. Encyclopedia of gerontology and population aging. Springer, Cham2019https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69892-2_13-1
- Trajectories of family care over the lifecourse: Evidence from Canada.Ageing and Society. 2019; 41: 1-18https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X19001806
Bleich, M. R., Connolly, C., Davis, K., Hewlett, P. O., & Hill, K. S. (2006). Wisdom at work. Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2006/06/wisdom-at-work-.html
- A meta-analysis of work-family conflict and social support.Psychological Bulletin. 2018; 144: 284-314https://doi.org/10.1037/bul0000120
Feinberg, L., & Choula, R. (2012). Understanding the impact of family caregiving on work. In Fact Sheet 271. Retrieved December 17, 2021 from http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/public_policy_institute/ltc/2012/understanding-impact-family-caregiving-work-AARP-ppi-ltc.pdf
- The conservation of resources model applied to work–family conflict and strain.Journal of Vocational Behavior. 1999; 54 (&): 350-370https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1998.1666
- Development and validation of a multidimensional measure of Family Supportive Supervisor Behaviors (FSSB).Journal of Management. 2009; 35: 837-856https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206308328510
- Nurse turnover: A literature review - an update.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2012; 49: 887-905https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.10.001
- IBM SPSS statistics for windows, version 27.0.IBM Corp, Armonk, NY2020
Fuller, J. B., & Raman, M. (2019). The caring company. Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://www.hbs.edu/managing-the-future-of-work/Documents/The_Caring_Company.pdf
Jankowski, J. (2011). Caregiver credits in France, Germany, and Sweden: Lessons for the United States. Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n4/v71n4p61.html
- When employees and supervisors (do not) see eye to eye on family supportive supervisor behaviors: The role of segmentation desire and work-family culture.Journal of Vocational Behavior. 2020; 121https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2020.103471
- Tensions in the personal world of the nurse family carer: A phenomenological approach.Nursing Inquiry. 2018; 25: e12206https://doi.org/10.1111/nin.12206
- Barriers to career flexibility in academic medicine: A qualitative analysis of reasons for the underutilization of family-friendly policies, and implications for institutional change and department chair leadership.Academic Medicine. 2018; 93: 246-255https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001877
- Evidence relating health care provider burnout and quality of care a systematic review and meta-analysis.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2019; 171: 555-567https://doi.org/10.7326/M19-1152
Voya Cares. (2020). For the benefit of all how organizations win when they recognize and support caregivers and employees with disabilities. Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://disabilitycompendium.org/sites/default/files/user-uploads/Final-Annual-Report-2018.pdf
SHRM. (2019). Family-friendly and wellness SHRM employee benefits 2019. Retrieved December 17, 2021 from https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/trends-and-forecasting/research-and-surveys/Documents/SHRMEmployeeBenefits2019FamilyFriendlyandWellness.pdf
U.S. Department of Labor. (n.d.). Family and Medical Leave (FMLA). Retrieved December 17, 2020, from https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/benefits-leave/fmla
- The impact of dementia caregiving on self-care management of caregivers and facilitators: A qualitative study.Psychogeriatrics. 2019; 19: 23-31https://doi.org/10.1111/psyg.12354
- Nurses negotiating professional–familial care boundaries.Journal of Family Nursing. 2015; 21: 57-85https://doi.org/10.1177/1074840714562645
- Compassion fatigue within double duty caregiving: Nurse-daughters caring for elderly parents.Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. 2011; 16: 4https://doi.org/10.3912/OJIN.Vol16No01Man04
Conflict of interest: None.