- •We present a one-on-one grant writing Partnership for pre- and post-doctoral trainees.
- •The rate of funding for participants was 81.0% vs. 42.1% for non-participants.
- •A Partnership effectively supports trainees writing grant proposals.
- •A school of nursing can invest in a Partnership to increase its research capacity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Enhancing institutional research capacity: Results and lessons from a pilot project program.Journal of Research Administration. 2018; 49: 64-90
- Biosciences proposal bootcamp: Structured peer and faculty feedback improves trainees' proposals and grantsmanship self-efficacy.Plos One. 2021; : 15https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0243973
- Building research capacity in family medicine: Evaluation of the grant generating project.Journal of Family Practice. 2002; 51: 593
- Educational innovation to improve K23 grantwriting among junior em faculty.Academic Emergency Medicine. 2011; 18: S251https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01078.x
- The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity.National Academies of Sciences, Washington, DC2021
- Developing the Librarians' Role in Supporting Grant Applications and Reducing Waste in Research: Outcomes From a Literature Review and Survey in the NIHR Research Design Service.New Review of Academic Librarianship. 2017; 23: 258-274https://doi.org/10.1080/13614533.2017.1330219
- Multidisciplinary mentoring programs to enhance junior faculty research grant success.Academic Medicine. 2017; 92: 1410-1415https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000001620
- Support for faculty writing proposals to new investigator programs.in: ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings. 2009 (Retrieved from)https://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85029092727&partnerID=40&md5=14be2428ddabbda65aade5b2e6d7d38d
- Factors impacting successfully competing for research funding: An analysis of applications submitted to the Plastic Surgery Foundation.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2015; 135: 429e-435ehttps://doi.org/10.1097/prs.0000000000000904
- Enhancing research careers: An example of a US national diversity-focused, grant-writing training and coaching experiment.BMC Proceedings. 2017; 11 (16-16)https://doi.org/10.1186/s12919-017-0084-7
- Use of a grant writing class in training PhD students.Traffic. 2016; 17: 803-814https://doi.org/10.1111/tra.12398
- Refocusing research priorities in schools of nursing.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2013; 29: 191-196https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.10.005
- Implementation and Outcomes of a Faculty-Based, Peer Review Manuscript Writing Workshop.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2016; 32: 262-270https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2016.01.008
- Intramural pilot funding and internal grant reviews increase research capacity at a school of nursing.Nursing Outlook. 2018; 66: 11-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2017.06.003
- NIH Funding Ranked "Per Capita": An alternative method for assessing research productivity.Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2020; 42: 57-60https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945919832599
- Time and costs of preparing and submitting an NIH grant application at a school of nursing.Nursing Outlook. 2015; 63: 639-649https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2015.09.003
- Supporting dissertation work through a nursing PhD program federal grant writing workshop.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2020; 36: 29-38https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2019.08.001
- Instruction in developing grant proposals: A librarian-faculty partnership.Research Strategies. 1993; 11 (Retrieved from): 47-51https://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?qurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ebscohost.com%2flogin.aspx%3fdirect%3dtrue%26db%3deric% 26AN%3dEJ465841%26site%3dehost-live%26scope%3dsite
- Applied grant writing training for future health communication researchers: The health communication scholars program.Health Communication. 2017; 32: 247-252https://doi.org/10.1080/10410236.2015.1110686
- IMERS: Interactive Mentoring to Enhance Research Skills Grant-Writing Workshops for Faculty at Minority Serving Institutions.FASEB Journal. 2021; : 35https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.2021.35.S1.05435
- A Student-Centered Active Learning Approach to Teaching Grant Proposal Writing in a Ph.D. in Engineering Education Program.International Journal of Engineering Education. 2012; 28 (Retrieved from): 1168-1176https://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?qurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ebscohost.com%2flogin.aspx%3fdirect%3dtrue%26db %3dehh%26AN%3d83519758%26site%3dehost-live%26scope%3dsite
Pierrakos, O. (2016). Tips for turning good ideas into competitive National Science Foundation engineering education CAREER proposals: A grant writing workshop. Paper presented at the Proceedings - Frontiers in Education Conference, FIE.
- Postdoctoral clinical-research training in psychiatry - A model for teaching grant writing and other research survival skills and for increasing clarity of mentoring expectations.Academic Psychiatry. 1998; 22: 190-196https://doi.org/10.1007/bf03341923
- Enhancing the careers of under-represented junior faculty in biomedical research: The summer institute program to increase diversity (SIPID).Journal of the National Medical Association. 2014; 106: 50-57
Ross, R. (2017). University Research Development Offices: Perceptions and Experiences of Research University Administrators. Retrieved from https://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?qurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ebscohost.com%2flogin.aspx%3fdirect%3dtrue% 26db%3deric%26AN%3dED586643%26site%3dehost-live%26scope%3dsite
- Workshop on proposal writing on research for health care professionals: A brief report.Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare. 2019; 12: 565-572https://doi.org/10.2147/JMDH.S211257
- Grant-writing bootcamp: An intervention to enhance the research capacity of academic women in STEM.Bioscience. 2017; 67: 638-645https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/bix050
- Responding to student writing.College Composition and Communication. 1982; 33: 148-156
- Independent investigator incubator (I3): A comprehensive mentorship program to jumpstart productive research careers for junior faculty.BMC Medical Education. 2018; 18: 186https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-018-1290-3
- Facilitating grant proposal writing in health behaviors for university faculty: A descriptive study.Health Promotion Practice. 2012; 13: 71-80https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839910385895
- Challenges and Strategies of Successful Mentoring: The Perspective of LEADS Scholars and Mentors from Minority Serving Institutions.International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021; : 18https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18116155
- The impact of grantsmanship self-efficacy on early stage investigators of the national research mentoring network steps toward academic research (NRMN STAR).Ethnicity and Disease. 2020; 30: 75-82https://doi.org/10.18865/ed.30.1.75
- The proposal preparation program: A group mentoring, faculty development model to facilitate the submission and funding of NIH grant applications.Academic Medicine. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000004359
- More and better grant proposals? the evaluation of a grant-writing group at a mid-sized Canadian University.Journal of Research Administration. 2017; 48 (Retrieved from): 67-92https://ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/login?qurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ebscohost.com%2flogin.aspx%3fdirect%3dtrue%26db%3deric% 26AN%3dEJ1162041%26site%3dehost-live%26scope%3dsite
- Recommendations for Writing Successful Grant Proposals: An Information Synthesis.Academic Medicine. 2015; 90: 1720-1725https://doi.org/10.1097/acm.0000000000000811
- Taking the next step: Supporting postdocs to develop an independent path in academia.International Journal of Stem Education. 2019; 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s40594-019-0168-1
Conflicts of Interest: The authors declare no conflicts of interest.