- •Caregivers are performing complex nursing care procedures for care recipients.
- •Caregivers experience unintended consequences due to their role.
- •State-level Medicaid waivers can offer supportive services for caregivers.
- •State-based Medicaid waiver services for caregivers vary widely.
- •Knowledge of caregiver supports informs evidence-based policy advocacy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Caregiving in the United States 2020.AARP, 2020
- Adult child caregiver health trajectories and the impact of multiple roles over time.Research on Aging. 2015; 37: 227-252https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027514527834
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.-a). Program History. https://www.medicaid.gov/about-us/program-history/index.html
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.-b). How is Medicare funded? https://www.medicare.gov/about-us/how-is-medicare-funded
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.-c). Eligibility. https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/eligibility/index.html
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.-d). Home & Community-Based Services 1915(c). https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/home-community-based-services/home-community-based-services-authorities/home-community-based-services-1915c/index.html
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.-e). State Waivers List. https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/section-1115-demo/demonstration-and-waiver-list/index.html?f%5B0%5D=waiver_authority_facet%3A1571#content
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. (n.d.-f). CAHPS Home and Community Based Services Survey. https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/quality-of-care/quality-of-care-performance-measurement/cahps-home-and-community-based-services-survey/index.html
- The politics of caregiving: Taking stock of state-level policies to support family caregivers.Public Policy & Aging Report. 2020; 30: 62-66https://doi.org/10.1093/ppar/praa005
- To use or not to use: A literature review of factors that influence family caregivers’ use of support services.Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 2013; 39: 20-28
- Family carers and wound care—Integrative review.Journal of Wound Care. 2015; 24: 489-497
- Medically complex home care and caregiver strain.The Gerontologist. 2012; 53: 407-417
- Key State Policy Choices About Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services.(February 4) Medicaid, 2020https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/key-state-policy-choices-about-medicaid-home-and-community-based-services/
- Schulz R. Eden J. Families Caring for an Aging America. National Academies Press, 2016: 23606https://doi.org/10.17226/23606
- The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. The National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.2021
- Executive Summary: Caregiving in the U.S.AARP Research, 2015https://doi.org/10.26419/res.00062.002
Reinhard, S., Young, H. M., Levine, C., Kelly, K., Choula, R. B., & Accius, J. C. (2019). Home alone revisited: Family caregivers providing complex care (pp. S747–S748). https://academic.oup.com/innovateage/article/3/Supplement_1/S747/5617707
- Home alone: Family caregivers providing complex chronic care.American Association of Retired Persons, 2012: 50https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/public_policy_institute/health/home-alone-family-caregivers-providing-complex-chronic-care-rev-AARP-ppi-health.pdf
- Improving policies for caregiver respite services.The Gerontologist. 2015; 55: 302-308https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnu120
- Self-care needs and practices for the older adult caregiver: An integrative review.Geriatric Nursing. 2021; 42: 570-581https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2020.10.013
- Dementia care: Mental health effects, intervention strategies, and clinical implications.The Lancet Neurology. 2006; 5: 961-973https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(06)70599-3
- Assisting caregivers with frail elderly in alleviating financial hardships.Social Work in Public Health. 2018; 33: 396-406https://doi.org/10.1080/19371918.2018.1504705
- State variation in medicaid LTSS policy choices and implications for upcoming policy debates—Issue brief.Medicaid. 2021;https://www.kff.org/report-section/state-variation-in-medicaid-ltss-policy-choices-and-implications-for-upcoming-policy-debates-issue-brief/
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
The authors have no conflict of interest to declare.