- •Frontline nurses face barriers to engaging in innovation despite being well-positioned to solve clinical problems across many settings in healthcare.
- •Nontraditional partnerships are a key driver to successful and timely innovation.
- •Using a closed loop process to iteratively develop and optimize ideas improves optimization and timely progress and increases likelihood of nurse engagement in sustainable innovations.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
American Nurses Association. (2022). Magnet model: Creating a magnet culture. https://www.nursingworld.org/organizational-programs/magnet/magnet-model/
- A blueprint for nursing innovation centers.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 969-981https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2021.05.006
Cianelli, R., Clipper, B., Freeman, R., Goldstein, J., & Wyatt, T. H. (2016). The innovation road map: A guide for nurse leaders. https://www.nursingworld.org/globalassets/ana/innovations-roadmap-english.pdf
- Creating and environment for innovation: The risk-taking leadership competency.Nurse Leader. 2013; 11: 24-27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mnl.2012.11.001
- Co-creating an expansive health care learning system.AMA Journal of Ethics. 2017; 19: 1099-1105https://doi.org/10.1001/journalofethics.2017.19.11.medu1-1711
- Using Experience-based Co-design to improve the quality of healthcare: Mapping where we are now and establishing future directions.King's College London, London2014
- What this collaboration between artists and health-care leaders teaches us about living through COVID-19.The Conversation. 2021;https://theconversation.com/what-this-collaboration-between-artists-and-health-care-leaders-teaches-us-about-living-through-covid-19-167637
Duke Heart Incubator. (2019). Duke heart incubator. https://www.dukeheartincubator.com/
Duke Translation & Commercialization. (2022). HealthForceRx (SBV HF). https://otc.duke.edu/startups/healthforcerx-sbv-hf/
- Iterative cocreation for improved hand hygiene and aseptic techniques in the operating room: Experiences from the safe hands study.BMC Health Services Research. 2018; 18: 2https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2783-1
- Co-designing healthcare systems: Between transformation and tokenism.Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 2016; 109: 368-371https://doi.org/10.1177/2F0141076816658789
- Achieving research impact through co creation in community-based health services: Literature review and case study.The Milbank Quarterly. 2016; 94: 392-429https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-0009.12197
- Predicting and Responding to Clinical Deterioration in Hospitalized Patients by Using Artificial Intelligence: Protocol for a Mixed Methods, Stepped Wedge Study.JMIR Research Protocols. 2021; 10: e27532https://doi.org/10.2196/27532
- Evaluation of a proactive hiring model to achieve workforce stability in the intensive care unit.Journal of Nursing Management. 2022; 30: 336-344
- COVID-19: Mobilizing Quickly for a Rapid Response.AACN Advanced Critical Care. 2020; 31: 326-333https://doi.org/10.4037/aacnacc2020366
- Notes on hospitals.Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green, London,1863
- Building a Better Delivery System: A New Engineering/Health Care Partnership.National Academy of Engineering and Institute of Medicine. 2005; https://doi.org/10.17226/11378
- A design thinking framework for healthcare management and innovation.Healthcare. 2016; 4: 11-14https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hjdsi.2015.12.002
- Ten demands of improved usability in eHealth and some progress – Cocreation by health and social care professionals.Nursing Informatics. 2016; 225: 227-231https://doi.org/10.3233/978-1-61499-658-3-227
- Realizing nurse-led innovation.Nursing Management. 2021; 52: 14-19https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NUMA.0000752772.58567.9b
- Co-designing new tools for collecting, analyzing, and presenting patient experience data in NHS services: Working in partnership with patients and carers.Research Involvement and Engagement. 2021; 7https://doi.org/10.1186/s40900-021-00329-3
- Creativity and innovation: An essential competency for the nurse leader.Nursing Administration Quarterly. 2019; 43: 306-312https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0000000000000367
- The line snuggler: A central line bundling innovation evaluated in a high-risk pediatric population.Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing. 2021; 38: 36-41https://doi.org/10.1177/1043454220958672
- Disruption and innovation in interprofessional attitude assessment.Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2021; 35: 325-327https://doi.org/10.1080/13561820.2020.1758045
- Innovation in action: Innovation, culture, and leadership synthesis.Nurse Leader. 2017; 15: 241-243https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mnl.2017.05.003
- Nurse leaders and the innovation competence gap.Nursing Outlook. 2016; 64: 255-261
- Frameworks for leading frontline innovation in health care: Failure, microclimates, and leadership.Nurse Leader. 2020; 18: 290-295https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mnl.2020.03.005