- •The diversity supplement is similar to a career development award and should be approached as such with regard to strong mentorship and well-thought-out training
- •Diversity supplements are an important start to the careers of underrepresented researchers; thus, mentees should consider developing the application around their research interests and goals
- •There is a need for a multipronged approach (institutions, NIH, mentors, and mentees) to enhance awareness of diversity supplements
Abbreviations:NIHMD (National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Member checking: A tool to enhance trustworthiness or merely a nod to validation?.Qualitative Health Research. 2016; 26 (NovEpub 2016 Jul 10. PMID: 27340178): 1802-1811https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732316654870
- Exploring mentoring and nurse faculty: An integrative review.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2022; 38 (Jan-FebEpub 2021 Nov 24. PMID: 35042587): 26-39https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2021.11.006
David, D., Weir, M., Enwerem, N., Schulman-Green, D., Okunji, P. O., Travers, J. L., & Clark-Cutaia, M. (2022). Enhancing the Use of Diversity Supplements: Perspectives of NIH Program Diversity Officers and University Research Administrators. Nursing Outlook (Under Review).
- The qualitative content analysis process.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2008; 62: 107-115https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1365-2648.2007.04569.X
- Race, ethnicity, and NIH research awards.Science (New York, N.Y.). 2011; 333: 1015https://doi.org/10.1126/SCIENCE.1196783
- Initiatives for underrepresented minorities in biomedical research.National Institutes of Health. 1989; 18: 1-12
- NIH diversity supplement awards by year and administering institute.JAMA. 2021; 326: 2427-2429https://doi.org/10.1001/JAMA.2021.19360
- Topic choice contributes to the lower rate of NIH awards to African-American/black scientists.Science Advances. 2019; : 5https://doi.org/10.1126/SCIADV.AAW7238
National Institutes of Health. (2012). Draft Report of the Advisory Committee to the Director Working Group on Diversity in the Biomedical Research Workforce. https://acd.od.nih.gov/documents/reports/DiversityBiomedicalResearchWorkforceReport.pdf
National Institutes of Health. (2021). Research supplements to promote diversity in health-related research (Admin Supp - Clinical Trial Not Allowed). https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/pa-20-222.html
Preis, S. R. S. S., Tepperberg, S., Torres, A., & Walkey, A. (2020). NIH Diversity Supplements and Research Faculty Diversity at Boston University. https://www.bumc.bu.edu/facdev-medicine/files/2020/05/MFL-Diversity-Supplement-Executive-Summary.pdf
Racial Disparities in NIH Funding | SWD at NIH. (n.d.). Retrieved February 17, (2022)., from https://diversity.nih.gov/building-evidence/racial-disparities-nih-funding
- Strengthening stakeholder-engaged research and research on stakeholder engagement.Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research. 2017; 6: 375-389
- A stakeholder analysis.Health Policy and Planning. 2000; 15: 338-345https://doi.org/10.1093/HEAPOL/15.3.338