- •The Self- and Family Management Framework has structured quantitative studies.
- •Quantitative studies have focused more on patients than family caregivers.
- •Independent and dependent variables have represented all Framework components.
- •Racial and/or ethnic minority representation has been limited among study participants.
- •Policymakers should consider patients and family independently and as co-managers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Affinito, J., & Louie, K. (2018). Renal Disease Receiving Hemodialysis Therapy. 45(4), 9.
- Self-management and self-management support outcomes: a systematic review and mixed research synthesis of stakeholder views.PLoS One. 2015; 10 (PMID: 26162086; PMCID: PMC4498685): e0130990https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0130990
- Cognition and adherence are self-management factors predicting the quality of life of adults living with a left ventricular assist device.The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2017; 36: 325-330https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2016.08.023
- Fatigue Self-Management Behaviors in Patients With Advanced Cancer: A Prospective Longitudinal Survey.Oncology Nursing Forum. 2016; 43: 762-771https://doi.org/10.1188/16.ONF.762-771
- A structural equation model of patient-healthcare provider relationships and HIV-infected patient outcomes in Chinese populations.AIDS Care. 2018; 30: 383-390https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2017.1380778
- Quality of life in HIV-infected Chinese women and their family caregivers: an intervention study.AIDS Care. 2018; 30: 1572-1579https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2018.1510095
- Manipulation and free will in shared decision making.Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. 2020; 26: 403-408https://doi.org/10.1111/jep.13290
- Glucose and Cardiac Risk Factor Control in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes.The Diabetes Educator. 2006; 32: 925-939https://doi.org/10.1177/0145721706295016
- Quality of life among youth with poorly controlled Type 1 diabetes: Role of family conflict and sharing of treatment responsibility.Diabetes Management. 2013; 3: 449-457https://doi.org/10.2217/dmt.13.47
- An evaluation of involving family caregivers in the self-care of heart failure patients on hospital readmission: Randomised controlled trial (the FAMILY study).International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2017; 75: 101-111https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.07.015
- Shared Decision-Making Tool for Self-Management of Home Therapies for Patients With Cystic Fibrosis.MDM Policy & Practice. 2017; 2238146831771562https://doi.org/10.1177/2381468317715621
- The qualitative content analysis process.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2008; 62: 107-115https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04569.x
- Association analysis of complex diseases using triads, parent-child dyads and singleton monads.BMC Genetics. 2013; 14: 78https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2156-14-78
- Shared decision-making in dialysis choice has potential to improve self-management in people with kidney disease: A qualitative follow-up study.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2021; 77: 1878-1887https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14726
- Identifying risk factors and protective factors for venous leg ulcer recurrence using a theoretical approach: A longitudinal study.International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2015; 52: 1042-1051https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.02.016
- Problem-Solving Intervention for Caregivers of Children With Mental Health Problems.Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2013; 27: 112-120https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2013.01.004
- A framework for the study of self- and family management of chronic conditions.Nursing Outlook. 2006; 54: 278-286https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2006.06.004
- A revised Self- and Family Management Framework.Nursing Outlook. 2015; 63: 162-170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2014.10.003
- Knowledge of Cancer Stage among Women with Nonmetastatic Breast Cancer.Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2016; 19: 314-317https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2015.0133
- CE: Original Research: Physical Activity Among Chinese American Immigrants with Prediabetes or Type 2 Diabetes.AJN, American Journal of Nursing. 2018; 118: 24-32https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000530221.87469.86
Keough, L., Sullivan-Bolyai, S., Crawford, S., Schilling, L., & Dixon, J. (2011). Self-management of Type 1 Diabetes Across Adolescence. The Diabetes Educator, 37(4), 486–500. https://doi.org/10.1177/0145721711406140.
- Shared decision making and support for self-management: A rationale for change.Future Hospital Journal. 2016; 3: 117-120https://doi.org/10.7861/futurehosp.3-2-117
- CommunityRx: A Real-World Controlled Clinical Trial of a Scalable, Low-Intensity Community Resource Referral Intervention.American Journal of Public Health. 2019; 109: 600-606https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2018.304905
- How Could Nurse Researchers Apply Theory to Generate Knowledge More Efficiently?: Applying Theory in Research.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2017; 49: 580-589https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12316
- Self-management education: History, definition, outcomes, and mechanisms.Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2003; 26: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1207/S15324796ABM2601_01
- Fatigue self-management: A survey of Chinese cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2013; 22: 1053-1065https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12174
- Self-management of Chemotherapy-Related Nausea and Vomiting: A Cross-sectional Survey of Chinese Cancer Patients.Cancer Nursing. 2014; 37: 126-138https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e318291b6f5
- Self-management support for chronic pain in primary care: A cross-sectional study of patient experiences and nursing roles.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2015; 71: 2551-2562https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12717
- What Are the Barriers and Facilitators for the Self-Management of Chronic Pain with and without Neuropathic Characteristics?.Pain Management Nursing. 2017; 18: 295-308https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2017.04.006
- Population health intervention research: The place of theories.Trials. 2019; 20: 285https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-019-3383-7
- Evidence supporting the best clinical management of patients with multimorbidity and polypharmacy: A systematic guideline review and expert consensus.Journal of Internal Medicine. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1111/joim.12842
- The effect of self-management education on the quality of life and severity of the disease in patients with severe psoriasis: A non-randomized clinical trial.Nursing Practice Today. 2018; 5 (Available at:): 243-255
- Enhancing Self-management for Adults With Functional Abdominal Pain: A Registered Nurse-Led Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Approach.Gastroenterology Nursing. 2018; 41: 321-332https://doi.org/10.1097/SGA.0000000000000322
- Daily Routine: Associations With Health Status and Urgent Health Care Utilization Among Older Adults.The Gerontologist. 2019; 59 (PMID: 30247549; PMCID: PMC6857682): 947-955https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gny117
- Pilot Randomized Trial of a Family Management Efficacy Intervention for Caregivers of African American Adolescents with Disruptive Behaviors.Child & Youth Care Forum. 2018; 47: 803-827https://doi.org/10.1007/s10566-018-9462-1
- Self-management and family support in chronic diseases.Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 2015; 5: p73https://doi.org/10.5430/jnep.v5n11p73
- Testing the Utility of a Bio-Neuropsychosocial Model for Predicting Medical Adherence and Responsibility During Early Adolescence in Youth With Spina Bifida.Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2017; 42 (PMID: 27831479; PMCID: PMC6251535): 910-921https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/jsw092
- An Empirical Study of Chronic Diseases in the United States: A Visual Analytics Approach to Public Health.International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2018; 15: 431https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15030431
- Veterans’ decision-making preferences and perceived involvement in care for chronic heart failure.Heart & Lung. 2008; 37: 440-448https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2008.02.003
- Predictors of family management behavior for children with thalassemia.Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2012; 43: 12
- Family caregiver support of patient self-management during chronic, life-limiting illness: a qualitative metasynthesis.J Fam Nurs. 2021; 27: 55-72https://doi.org/10.1177/1074840720977180
- Use of the self- and family management framework and implications for further development.Nurs Outlook. 2021; 69: 991-1020https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2021.05.009
- Processes of self-management in chronic illness: self-management processes.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2012; 44: 136-144https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2012.01444.x
- A metasynthesis of factors affecting self-management of chronic illness.J Adv Nurs. 2016; 72: 1469-1489https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12902
- Implementing the actor-partner interdependence model for dyadic data analysis: An overview for the nurse researcher.Nurse Researcher. 2019; 27: 24-28https://doi.org/10.7748/nr.2019.e1651
- Family management affecting transition readiness and quality of life of Chinese children and young people with chronic diseases.Journal of Child Health Care. 2018; 22: 470-485https://doi.org/10.1177/1367493517753712
- Effectiveness of family involvement in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes patients: A follow-up study.Patient Education and Counseling. 2016; 99: 776-782https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2015.12.018
- Development and psychometric properties of surveys to assess patient and family caregiver experience with care transitions.BMC Health Services Research. 2021; 21: 785https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-021-06766-w
- Words Matter: The Language of Family Caregiving.Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2019; 67: 2008-2010https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15988
- Scoping review identifies significant number of knowledge translation theories, models, and frameworks with limited use.Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2018; 100: 92-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2018.04.008
- A Multimedia Self-management Intervention to Prepare Cancer Patients and Family Caregivers for Lung Surgery and Postoperative Recovery.Clinical Lung Cancer. 2017; 18: e151-e159https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2017.01.010
- Impact of a health educational guidelines on the knowledge, self-management practice and self-efficacy of patients with type-2 diabetes.Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 2016; 6: p46https://doi.org/10.5430/jnep.v6n9p46
- Family function in cognitively normal children with epilepsy: Impact on competence and problem behaviors.Epilepsy & Behavior. 2008; 12: 90-95https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2007.07.008
Tinker, A. (2017). How to Improve Patient Outcomes for Chronic Diseases and Comorbidities. 5.
- Examining the Interrelatedness of Patient and Spousal Stress in Heart Failure: Conceptual Model and Pilot Data.Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2012; 27: 24-32https://doi.org/10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182129ce7
- A Couples’ Based Self-Management Program for Heart Failure: Results of a Feasibility Study.Frontiers in Public Health. 2016; 4https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2016.00171
Tung, H.H., Chen, S.C., Yin, W.H., Cheng, C.H., Wang, T.J., & Wu, S.F. (2012). Self care behavior in patients with heart failure in Taiwan. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 8.
- Self-efficacy for seizure management and youth depressive symptoms: Caregiver and youth perspectives.Seizure. 2012; 21: 334-339https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seizure.2012.02.009
- Adherence to self-monitoring of blood glucose in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes: Current status and influential factors based on electronic questionnaires.Patient Preference and Adherence. 2019; 13: 1269-1282https://doi.org/10.2147/PPA.S211668
- Shared Decision Making and Self-Management Support: Tools for Empowering Individuals to Manage Their Health.Professional Case Management. 2015; 20: 103-105https://doi.org/10.1097/NCM.0000000000000085
- The Impact of Mental Wellness on HIV Self-Management.Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 2016; 27: 468-475https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jana.2016.03.002
- Perceived Mood, Health, and Burden in Female Mexican American Family Cancer Caregivers.Health Care for Women International. 2009; 30: 627-652https://doi.org/10.1080/07399330902928857
- Opportunities and challenges in secondary stroke prevention: A mixed methods study.Disability and Rehabilitation. 2019; 41: 3192-3197https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2018.1492029
- The role of the family in supporting the self-management of chronic conditions: A qualitative systematic review.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27 (Epub 2017 Apr 11. PMID: 28231630): 22-30https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13775
- Challenges to and strategies for recruiting chronic care dyads into intervention research.Chronic Illness. 2021; 17: 232-241https://doi.org/10.1177/1742395319869434
- Engaging Overweight Adolescents in a Health and Fitness Program Using Wearable Activity Trackers.Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2017; 31: e25-e34https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2017.03.001