- •PhD Curricula from 45 schools of nursing with 3-year PhD programs were analyzed.
- •Challenges to incorporating emerging priority areas in nursing science into curricula remain.
- •Overall, curricula were analogous to traditional curricula but delivered in a truncated manner.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Neuroscience training for the 21st century.Neuron. 2016; 90: 917-926
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2020). PhD in nursing. https://www.aacnnursing.org/News-Information/Research-Data-Center/PhD. Accessed date February 1, 2022.
- The research-focused doctoral program in nursing: pathways to excellence.AACN, Washington DC2022https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/Position-Statements/Pathways-Excellence-Position-Statement.pdf(Accessed date February 1, 2022)
- Strategies to promote and sustain baccalaureate students' interest in pursuing a PhD degree in nursing.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2021; 37: 935-941
- To what extent has doctoral (PhD) education supported academic nurse educators in their teaching roles: An integrative review.BMC Nursing. 2018; 17: 1-18
- The Jonas Scholars Program—Evaluation of a decade-long program to advance doctoral-prepared nurses.Nursing Outlook. 2020; 68: 365-370
- Developing a competence-based core curriculum in biomedical laboratory science: A Delphi study.Medical Teacher. 2006; 28: 409-417
- BS-PhD programs in nursing: Where are we now?.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2014; 35: 230-237
- Invitational summit: Re-envisioning research focused PHD programs of the future.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2021; 37: 221-227
- Identifying barriers and facilitators to nurse faculty careers for PhD nursing students.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2016; 32: 193-201
- Completion and attrition of nursing PhD students of the 2001 to 2010 matriculating cohorts.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 340-349
- The accelerated doctoral program in nursing: A university-foundation partnership.Journal of Nursing Education. 2007; 46: 159-164
- Evaluation of a PhD program: Paving the way.Nursing Outlook. 1994; 42: 117-122
- Opportunities and challenges presented by recent pedagogical innovations in doctoral nursing education.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2021; 37: 228-234
- The Impact of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Future of Nursing Scholars Program on Scholars, Schools and Nursing Science.Nursing Outlook. 2023;
- Clinical fellowship for an innovative, integrated BSN-PhD program: An academic and practice partnership.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2017; 33: 282-286
- A study of statistics knowledge among nurse faculty in schools with research doctorate programs.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 228-233
- Letter to the Editor.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 513-515
- Integrating emerging areas of nursing science into PhD programs.Nursing Outlook. 2015; 63: 408-416
- Quality of nursing doctoral education and scholarly performance in US schools of nursing: Strategic areas for improvement.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2014; 30: 10-18
- Supporting dissertation work through a nursing PhD program federal grant writing workshop.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2020; 36: 29-38
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Future of Nursing Scholars Program: An Overview.Nursing Outlook. 2023;
- Characteristics of nursing doctoral programs in the United States.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2000; 16: 282-292
- The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health.The National Academies Press, Washington DC2011https://doi.org/10.17226/12956
- A data-based agenda for doctoral nursing education reform.Nursing Outlook. 2002; 50: 24-29
R Core Team (2021). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. https://www.R-project.org/.
- What PhD competencies should guide the preparation of nurse scientists?.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2021; 37: 201-203
- Stimulating research interest and ambitions in undergraduate nursing students: The research-doctorate pipeline initiative.Journal of Nursing Education. 2016; 55: 133-140
- Assessing nursing student intent for PHD study.Nurse Education Today. 2014; 34: 1405-1410
- Assessing postgraduate outcomes of research-intensive nursing science PhD programs: Methods and metrics.Nursing Outlook. 2022; 70: 506-512
- Establishing good collaborative research practices in the responsible conduct of research in nursing science.Nursing Outlook. 2015; 63: 171-180
- The council for the advancement of nursing science, idea festival advisory committee: good ideas that need to go further.Nursing Outlook. 2015; 63: 436-438
- An eye toward a more inclusive future.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 510-512
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2021). In Wakefield Mary K., Williams David R., Menestrel Suzanne Le, & Flaubert Jennifer Lalitha, (Eds.), The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. Washington DC: The National Academies Press, doi:10.17226/25982
- PhD programs in nursing in the United States: Visibility of American association of colleges of nursing core curricular elements and emerging areas of science.Nursing Outlook. 2015; 63: 390-397
- Doctoral programs in nursing: Philosophy, curricula, and program requirements.Journal of Professional Nursing. 1992; 8: 56-62