- ·Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer plus (LGBTQ) educational interventions in nursing curricula are increasing
- ·Homophobia and transphobia persist among nursing students
- ·LGBTQ content in curricula can improve students’ knowledge, skills, and attitudes
- ·Students benefit from LGBTQ health didactic content and clinical experiences
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
American Nursing Association (ANA). (2012). Position Statement on health care for sexual minority and gender-diverse populations.
- Transphobia Among students majoring in the helping professions.Journal of Homosexuality. 2017; 64: 2011-2029https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2017.1293404
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2017). The Voice of Academic Nursing.
- Core competencies for professional nursing education. BYU College of Nursing, Salt Lake City2021
American Nurses Association. (2015). Code of Ethics for Nurses. Nursesbooks.org. https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/nursing-excellence/ethics/code-of-ethics-for-nurses/coe-view-only/.
- LGBT healthcare disparities: What progress have we made?.Patient Education and Counseling. 2017; 100: 2357-2361https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2017.06.003
- Effects of victimization and violence on suicidal ideation and behaviors among sexual minority and heterosexual adolescents.LGBT Health. 2016; 3: 153-161https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2015.0037
Brennan, A. M. W., Barnsteiner, J., Siantz, M. L. de L., Cotter, V. T., & Everett, J. (2012). Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, or intersexed content for nursing curricula. Journal of Professional Nursing, 28(2), 96–104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2011.11.004
- Predicting trans-inclusive attitudes of undergraduate nursing students.Journal of Nursing Education. 2017; 56: 660-669https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20171020-05
- The process of cultural competence in the delivery of healthcare services: A model of care.Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2002; 13: 181-184
- Nursing students’ perceptions of their knowledge of lesbian, gay, bisexual, andtransgender issues: Effectiveness of a multi purpose assignment in a public health nursing class.Journal of Nursing Education. 2015; 54: 50-53https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20141228-03
- Integrating cultural humility into health care professional education and training.Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2012; 17: 269-278
- Comparing medical, dental, and nursing students’ preparedness to address lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer health.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13: 71-81https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0204104
- Health Care Experiences of Transgender Adults: An Integrated Mixed Research Literature Review.Advances in Nursing Science. 2019; 42: 123-138https://doi.org/10.1097/ANS.0000000000000256
- The GLBT health access project: A state-funded effort to improve access to care.American Journal of Public Health. 2001; 91: 895-896https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.91.6.895
- Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Femenist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory and Antiracist Politics. University of Chicago Legal Forum. 1989: 139-168
- The Gay Affirmative Practice Scale: A New Measure for Assessing Cultural Competence with Gay and Lesbian Clients The Gay Affirmative Practice Scale (GAP): A New Measure for Assessing Cultural Competence with Gay and Lesbian Clients.Social Work. 2002; 51: 115-126
- LGBT inclusivity in health assessment textbooks.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2018; 34: 483-487https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2018.03.001
Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2020. Washington, DC: U.S. (2022, September 11): https://wayback.archive-it.org/5774/20220414112801/https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/About-Healthy-People/How-To-Use-HealthyPeople.gov/Frequently-Asked-Questions#cite
- Relationship between marginality and minority status in undergraduate nursing students.Journal of Nursing Education. 2018; 57: 339-346https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20180522-04
- Same-sex couples after Obergefell. Williams Institute, UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles2015
- Comparing medical, dental, and nursing students’ preparedness to address lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer health.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0204104
- Perspectives on academic mentorship from sexual and gender minority students pursuing careers in the health sciences.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2019; 89: 343-353https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000410.Perspectives
- Improving the content validity of the mixed methods appraisal tool: A modified e-Delphi study.Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2019; 111 (.e1): 49-59https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2019.03.008
- A strategy for the measurement of homophobia.Journal of Homosexuality. 1980; 5: 357-372https://doi.org/10.1300/J082v05n04_02
- How can the nursing profession help reduce sexual and gender minority related health disparities: Recommendations from the national nursing LGBTQ health summit.Nursing Outlook. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2022.02.005
- Resources: Health care equality index.
Institute of Medicine (IOM). (2011). The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for a better understanding. Washington (DC): National Academies Press.
- The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding. National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2011
- The report of the 2015 U.S. transgender survey. National Center for Transgender Equality, Washington (DC)2016
- Teaching cultural competence in nursing and health care: Inquiry, action, and innovation. 3rd ed. Springer, 2016
- 2015: 292-293 NLN Jeffries Simulation Theory: brief Narrative description. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- A systematic review of the content of critical appraisal tools.BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2004; 4: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-4-22
- Results and implications from a gender minority health education module for advance practice nursing students.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2020; 32: 332-338
- Are old lesbian and gay people well served? Understanding the perceptions, preparation, and experiences of aging services providers.Journal of Applied Gerontology. 2011; 30: 370-389https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464810369809
- Improving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning health: Using a standardized patient experience to educate advanced practice nursing students.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2019; 31: 714-722https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000224
- Addressing health care disparities in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender population: A review of best practices.American Journal of Nursing. 2014; 114: 24-34
- Nursing students’ attitudes toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons: An integrative review.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2016; 37: 144-152https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000004
- Qualitative research synthesis: Methodological guidance for systematic reviewers utilizing meta-aggregation.International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare. 2015; 13: 179-187https://doi.org/10.1097/XEB.0000000000000062
- Methodological quality (risk of bias) assessment tools for primary and secondary medical studies: What are they and which is better?.Military Medical Research. 2020; 7: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/s40779-020-00238-8
- A writing assignment to address gaps in the nursing curriculum regarding health issues of LGBT+ populations.Nursing Forum. 2019; 54: 198-204https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12315
- Using simulation with nursing students to promote affirmative practice toward the lesbian, Gay, bisexual, and transgender population: A multisite study.Nursing Education Perspectives. 2018; 39: 225-229https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000302
- Homelessness among youth who identify as LGBTQ+: A systematic review.Journal of Clinical Nursing (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.). 2019; 28: 2061-2072https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.14818
- Promoting affirmative transgender health care practice within hospitals: An IPE standardized patient simulation for graduate health care learners.MedEdPORTAL : The Journal of Teaching and Learning Resources. 2019; 15: 10861https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10861
- Guidelines for the primary care of lesbian, gay, and bisexual people: A systematic review.Annals of Family Medicine. 2010; 8: 533-541https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1173
- Advocacy and awareness: Integrating LGBTQ health education into the prelicensure curriculum.Journal of Nursing Education. 2018; 57: 312-314https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20180420-12
- Health inequities in lgbt people and nursing interventions to reduce them: A systematic review.International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2021; 18https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182211801
National Institutes of Health. (2021). Sexual & Gender Minority Research Office.
Newport, F. (2018). In U.S., estimate of LGBT population rises to 4.5%. Gallup.
National Institutes of Health, Sexual and Gender Minority Research Office (2021). The national institutes of health strategic plan to advance research on the health and well-being of sexual & gender minorities FY21-25.
- 2019: 639-642 Modern homonegativity scale. Handbook of Sexuality-Related Measures, January.
- Gender differences in correlates of homophobia and transphobia.Sex Roles. 2008; 59: 521-531
- Transgender standardized patient simulation: Management of an oncological emergency.Journal of Transcultural Nursing. 2019; 30: 627-635https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659619849479
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: An updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.The BMJ. 2021; 372https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n71
- Preparing literature reviews: Qualitative and quantitative approaches. 5th ed. Routledge, New York2016
- Interpersonal relations in nursing: A conceptual frame of reference for psychodynamic nursing. Springer, 1991
- Sexual orientation differences in non-suicidal self-injury, suicidality, and psychosocial factors among an inpatient psychiatric sample of adolescents.Psychiatry Research. 2020; 284112664https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.112664
- Managing uncertainty: A grounded theory of stigma in transgender health care encounters.Social Science and Medicine. 2013; 84: 22-29https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.02.019
- Sensitivity toward gender and sexually diverse populations: Development of a scale.The Journal of Nursing Education. 2022; 61: 383-389https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20220613-01
- The future of nursing: Leading change, advancing health. National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2011
- Factors related to homophobia among nursing students.Journal of Homosexuality. 2015; 62: 1228-1240https://doi.org/10.1080/00918369.2015.1037135
- Health care providers’ implicit and explicit attitudes toward lesbian women and gay men.American Journal of Public Health. 2015; 105: 1831-1841https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302631
- Application of the attribution-value model of prejudice to homosexuality.The Journal of Social Psychology. 2002; 142: 264-271
- Orthodox Christian beliefs and homophobia in Baccalaureate nursing students.Nursing Forum. 1999; 34: 15
- Converging cultures: Partnering in affirmative and inclusive health care for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. 2019; 25: 453-466https://doi.org/10.1177/1078390318820127
- Development and psychometric properties of the tool for assessing LGBTQI+ health training (TALHT) in pre-licensure nursing curricula.Nurse Education Today. 2022; 110105255https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2021.105255
Sherman, A. D. F., She, C. N. E., Smith, S., Bower, K., Moore, S. E., Dorsen, C., Coleman, C. L., & Pre-licensure, T. H. N. (2020). International prospective register of systematic reviews Citation Review question Participants /population Intervention (s), exposure (s) Comparator (s)/ control Main outcome (s) Additional outcome (s) Data extraction (selection and coding) R. 1–4.
Smith, S. K., Ruud, M., & Newman, L. (2021). LGBTQ education in Midwest NP and CNM programs: A pilot study [Poster presentation]. Midwest Nursing Research Society. Virtual.
- Students’ perceptions of the psychological well-being of a transgender client through simulation.Journal of Nursing Education. 2017; 56: 741-744https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20171120-07
- Assessing undergraduate nursing students’ knowledge, attitudes, and cultural competence in caring for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender patients.Journal of Nursing Education. 2015; 54: 45-49https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20141224-07
- Discrimination, mental health, and suicidal ideation among LGBTQ people of color.Journal of Counseling Psychology. 2016; 63: 98-105
- Revised and abbreviated forms of the Genderism and Transphobia Scale: Tools for assessing anti-trans* prejudice.Journal of Counseling Psychology. 2014; 61: 581-592
- Suicidal ideation in transgender people: Gender minority stress and interpersonal theory factors.Journal of Abnormal Psychology. 2017; 126: 125-136
US Department of Health and Human Services. (2015). LGBT health and wellbeing: HHS LGBT issues coordinating committee 2015 report.
- Enhancing pediatric trainees’ and students’ knowledge in providing care to transgender youth.Journal of Adolescent Health. 2017; 60: 425-430https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.11.020
- Teaching paediatric transgender care.Clinical Teacher. 2018; 15: 214-220https://doi.org/10.1111/tct.12780
Veritas Health Innovation. (2021). Covidence systematic review software. Available at: www.covidence.org. Accessed 2/2/2021
- Onward and upward: Introducing the healthcare simulation standards of best practiceTM.Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2021; 58: 1-4
- Targeted victimization and suicidality among Trans people: A web-based survey.LGBT Health. 2018; 5: 180-190https://doi.org/10.1089/lgbt.2017.0011
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Declaration of Competing Interest: The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.