- •The term social factors is used broadly by nurses.
- •Nurses shifted what was included in social factors over time.
- •Non-deterministic language is beneficial.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
A Brief History of Social Determinants of Health. (2021). Mom's Meals. Retrieved from: https://www.momsmeals.com/health-plans/a-brief-history-of-social-determinants-of-health/
- Scoping studies: Towards a methodological framework.International Journal of Social Research Methodology. 2005; 8: 19-32https://doi.org/10.1080/1364557032000119616
- JBI manual for evidence synthesis.Joanna Briggs Institute, 2020https://doi.org/10.46658/JBIMES-20-01
- CMS issues new roadmap for states to address the social determinants of health to improve outcomes, lower costs, support state value-based care strategies.CMS.Gov. 2021; (Retrieved from)https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-issues-new-roadmap-states-address-social-determinants-health-improve-outcomes-lower-costs
American Nurses Association (Ed.) (2015). Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements. Retrieved from: https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/nursing-excellence/ethics/code-of-ethics-for-nurses/
- The origins of public health nursing: The Henry Street Visiting Nurse Service.American Journal of Public Health. 2010; 100: 1206-1207https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.186049
- The preamble of the constitution of the world health organization.Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2002; 80 (981–981)https://doi.org/10.1590/S0042-96862002001200014
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2021. The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/25982.
Institute of Medicine. (2003). Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/12875
- Action on the social determinants of health: A historical perspective.Global Public Health. 2007; 2: 235-256https://doi.org/10.1080/17441690601106304
- A Political Necessity.Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2014 (Retrieved from)
- The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity.., 2021 (Retrieved from)
- Notes on Nursing: What it is, What it is Not.Harrison and Sons, 1860
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. (2014). Determinants of Health. Retrieved from: https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Determinants-of-Health#2
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; 372: n71https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n71
- Updated methodological guidance for the conduct of scoping reviews.JBI Evidence Synthesis. 2020; 18: 2119-2126https://doi.org/10.11124/JBIES-20-00167
- Why We Need a Culture of Health.Health Policy Snapshot, 2016: 6 (Retrieved from)
- The American Nurses’ Association's position statement on nursing and social policy: Philosophical and ethical dimensions.Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1983; 8: 147-151https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1983.tb00305.x
- What's wrong with the term ‘social determinants of health’?.Healthy Findings (Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute). 2017; (Retrieved from)https://www.kpwashingtonresearch.org/news-and-events/blog/2017/jul-2017/What_s_wrong_with_the_term_social_determinants_of_health_
- Facilitating resilience using a society-to-cells framework: A theory of nursing essentials applied to research and practice.ANS. Advances in Nursing Science. 2010; 33: 329-343https://doi.org/10.1097/ANS.0b013e3181fb2ea2
- PRISMA Extension for Scoping Reviews (PRISMA-ScR): Checklist and Explanation.Annals of Internal Medicine. 2018; 169: 467-473https://doi.org/10.7326/M18-0850
Veritas Health Innovation. Covidence [Computer Software]. (2022). Retrieved from: www.covidence.org.
Walton, A. (in press). The Limits of ‘Social Determinants of Health’ Language. American Journal of Nursing.
- Closing the Gap in a Generation: Health Equity Through Action on the Social Determinants of Health: Commission on Social Determinants of Health Final Report.World Health Organization, 2008
- Social determinants of health: The solid facts.2nd. ed. Centre for Urban Health, 2003