- •Major disparities in health outcomes persist
- •Structural racism undermines efforts to advance health equity
- •Prioritizing the need for racial and ethnic diversity among nursing leaders
- •Reconciling funding inequities at Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- •Sustainable partnerships that benefit communities that are under-resourced
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Nursing Outlook
- For HBCUs cheated out of billions, bomb threats are the latest indignity.Forbes. 2022; (Retrieved from)https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2022/02/01/for-hbcus-cheated-out-of-billions-bomb-threats-are-latest-indignity/?sh=1dee14e640ce
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2019). Enhancing diversity in the nursing workforce. Retrieved from https://www.aacnnursing.org/News-Information/Fact-Sheets/Enhancing-Diversity. Access date May 2022.
- Structural racism and health inequities in the USA: Evidence and interventions.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1453-1463
- A blueprint for nursing innovation centers.Nursing Outlook. 2021; 69: 969-981https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2021.05.006
- Does race still matter in nursing? The narratives of African American nursing faculty members.Nursing Outlook,. 2016; 64: 583-596
- The significance of historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the 21st century: Will such institutions of higher learning survive?.The American Journal of Economics and Sociology. 2017; 76: 670-696https://doi.org/10.1111/ajes.12191
- Underfunding HBCUs leads to an underrepresentation of Black faculty.Brookings. 2021; (Retrieved from)https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2021/08/04/underfunding-hbcus-leads-to-an-underrepresentation-of-black-faculty/
- Black colleges were denied state funding for decades. Now they're fighting back.CBS News. 2021; (Retrieved from)https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hbcu-coppin-state-tennessee-state-federal-funding-howard-kamala-harris/
- A new funding model for nursing education through business development initiatives.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2018; 34: 97-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2017.10.003
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). Pregnancy-related deaths in the United States. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/hearher/pregnancy-related-deaths/index.html
- Why black colleges might be the best bargains.US News and World Report. 2009; (Retrieved from)
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (2021). Department of state: Bureau of professional and occupational affairs. Retrieved from https://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/Nursing/DocumentsBoard/20Minutes/072121-State-Board-of-Nursing-Minutes-Final.pdf. Access date May 2022.
- The critical elements of effective academic-practice partnerships: A framework derived from the department of veterans affairs nursing academy.BMC Nursing. 2014; 13: 1-31https://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-014-0036-8
- Racial identity-rooted academic motivation of first-year African American students majoring in STEM at an HBCU.Frontiers in Psychology. 2021; 12 (Retrieved from)
- Giving spare change and love to historically black colleges and universities.Forbes. 2021; (Retrieved from)https://www.forbes.com/sites/marybethgasman/2021/11/30/giving-spare-change-and-love-to-historically-black-colleges-and-universities/?sh=343dba4b388b
- Contributions of historically black colleges and universities to the production of black nurses.Journal of Nursing Education. 2020; 59: 76-82https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20200122-04
- Building nursing research capacity to address health disparities: Engaging minority baccalaureate and master's students.Nursing Outlook. 2009; 57: 158-165https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2009.01.005
- Historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the twenty first century: An exploratory case study analysis of their mission.Race, Gender & Class. 2017; 24: 44-67
- Stolen breaths.New England Journal of Medicine. 2020; 383 (Retrieved from): 197-199
- Transforming veterans health care through academic-practice partnerships.Nursing Outlook. 2016; 64: 424-430
- Programs for minority-serving institutions under the higher education act.Congressional Research Service. 2017; (Retrieved from)
- Black women in white: Racial conflict and cooperation in the nursing profession 1890-1950.Indiana University Press, Bloomington1989
- Racial bias in pain assessment and treatment recommendations, and false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites.PNAS. 2016; 113: 4296-4301
- Howard University and NYU form academic partnership.Washington Square News, 2021 (Retrieved from)
- Nurses for Tomorrow. 2022; (Retrieved from)
- Addressing health equity through state, regional partnerships.The Nation's Health. 2018; (Retrieved from): S1-S2https://www.thenationshealth.org/sites/default/files/additional-assets/PDFs/SpecialSection-HealthEquityPartnerships.pdf
- Land-grant but unequal: State one-to-one match funding for 1890 land-grant universities.Association of Public Land-Grant Universities. Washington, DC, 2013 (Retrieved from)https://www.aplu.org/library/land-grant-but-unequal-state-one-to-one-match-funding-for-1890-land-grant-universities/file
Legal Information Institute. (1986). 20 U.S. code § 1060: Findings and purposes. Cornell Law School. Retrieved from https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/20/1060. Access date May 2022.
- Cultural competence and ethnic diversity in healthcare.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2019; 7: e 2219
- Achieving health equity through eradicating structural racism in the U.S: A call to action for nursing leadership.Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2020; 52: 696-704
- The future of nursing 2020-2030. Charting a path to achieve health equity.The National Academies Press, 2021https://doi.org/10.17226/25982
National Institutes of Health. (2022). Ending structural racism. Retrieved from https://www.nih.gov/ending-structural-racism
National Institutes of Health. (2021). Historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) virtual listening session #1. Retrieved from https://www.nih.gov/ending-structural-racism/historically-black-colleges-universities-hbcus-virtual-listening-session-1. Access date May 2022.
National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities. (2022). Structural racism and discrimination: Ending structural racism. Retrieved from https://www.nimhd.nih.gov/resources/understanding-health-disparities/srd.html
National League for Nursing. (2017). Faculty census survey: Disposition of full-time nurse educators by race-ethnicity. Retrieved from http://www.nln.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/disposition-of-full-time-nurse-educators-by-race-ethnicity-2017.pdf?sfvrsn=0.
National Commission to Address Racism in Nursing. (2022). Racism in nursing. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/∼49c4d0/globalassets/practiceandpolicy/workforce/commission-to-address-racism/racism-in-nursing-report-series.pdfhttps://www.nursingworld.org/~49c4d0/globalassets/practiceandpolicy/workforce/commission-to-address-racism/racism-in-nursing-report-series.pdf.
- The added value of clinical faculty in building effective academic–practice partnerships.Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2022; 34: 242-246https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000644
- From patriarchy to intersectionality: A transnational feminist assessment of how far we've really come.Journal of Women in Culture and Society. 2013; 38: 847-867https://doi.org/10.1086/669560
- Health advocacy at historically black colleges and universities as social activism.Phylon. 2021; 58 (Retrieved from): 21-38
- Addressing unconscious bias.Nursing Administration Quarterly. 2019; 43: 130-137https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0000000000000348
- Increasing racial/ethnic diversity in nursing to reduce health disparities and achieve health equity.Public Health Reports. 2014; 129: 45-50https://doi.org/10.1177/2F00333549141291S209
- Historically black colleges and universities: Making a comeback.New Directions for Higher Education. 1998; 1998: 33-43
- The academic-practice partnership.Nursing Administration Quarterly. 2021; 45: E1-E11https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0000000000000487
- Zip code better predictor of health than genetic code.Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health. 2014; (Retrieved from)
- New Carnegie classifications will elevate colleges promoting equity and social mobility.Higher Ed Dive. 2022; (Retrieved from)https://www.highereddive.com/news/new-carnegie-classifications-will-elevate-colleges-promoting-equity-and-soc/620724/
Sabin, J.A. (2020). How we fail black patients in pain. Association of American Medical Colleges. Retrieved from https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/how-we-fail-black-patients-pain. Access date May 2022.
Smedley, B.D., Stith, A.Y. & Nelson, A.R. (Eds.). (2003). Unequal treatment: Confrontingracial and ethnic disparities in health care. National Academies Press. Washington, DC. Retrieved from https://www.nap.edu/catalog/10260/unequal-treatment-confronting-racial-and-ethnic-disparities-in-health-care
- The 2020 national nursing workforce survey.Journal of Nursing Regulation. 2021; 12: S1-S96
Smith, D.A. (2021). Achieving financial equity and justice for HBCUs. The Century Foundation. Retrieved from https://tcf.org/content/report/achieving-financial-equity-justice-hbcus/. Access date May 2022.
Smith, J. (2022). Out-of-state enrollment caps to increase for several North Carolina HBCUs beginning fall 2022. The Chronicle Retrieved from https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2022/05/out-of-state-enrollment-caps-to-increase-for-several-north-carolina-historically-black-colleges-and-universities-fall-2022-nc-a-t-nccu-elizabeth-city-state#:∼:text=On%20April%207%2C%20they%20voted,will%20go%20up%20to%2050%25. Access date May 2022.
Sullivan Commission. (2004). Missing persons: Minorities in the health professions. Retrieved from https://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/Sullivan-Report.pdf. Access date May 2022.
The White House. (2021). Fact sheet: The Biden-Harris administration's historic investments and support for historically black colleges and universities. Retrieved from https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/12/17/fact-sheet-the-biden-%E2%81%A0harris-administrations-historic-investments-and-support-for-historically-black-colleges-and-universities/. Access date May 2022.
Toldson, I.A. & Pearson, D. (2019). Strategic priorities for historically black colleges and universities with teacher preparation programs. State Higher Education Executive Officers Association. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED603948.pdf. Access date May 2022.
- Demographic turning points of the United States: Population projections for 2020 to 2060.United States Census Bureau. 2020; (Retrieved from)
- Nursing colonialism in America: Implications for nursing leadership.Journal of Professional Nursing. 2019; 35: 18-25https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2017.12.013
- Public and private investments and divestments in historically black colleges and universities.American Council on Education, Washington, DC2019 (Retrieved from)
United States Department of Justice. (2002). Case summary: Ayers & United States v. Fordice. DOJ civil rights division case summary. U.S. Dept. of Justice. Washington DC. Retrieved from https://casetext.com/analysis/case-summary-ayers-united-states-v-fordice https://www.justice.gov/crt/case-summaries. Access date December 21, 2022.
Wilkerson, I. (2020). Caste: The origins of our discontents. Random House Books. New York.