- •Dimensional analysis identifies three perspectives of the informed consent process.
- •Legal perspective addresses requirement of formal informed consent discussion.
- •Health care perspective incorporates goals of individual performing the procedure.
- •Patient perspective reveals unique goals not identified by previous perspectives.
- •Informed consent is complex and compromised of separate but related perspectives.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Patients' experiences of informed consent and preoperative education.Clinical Nursing Research. 2021; 30: 529-538https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773820963593
- Consent.Pediatrics. 1976; 57: 414-416https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.57.3.414
- Informed consent, parental permission, and assent in pediatric practice.Pediatrics. 1995; 95: 314-317https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.95.2.314
- Outcomes and associated ethical considerations of long-run pediatric ECMO at a single center institution.Pediatric Surgery International. 2019; 35: 321-328https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-019-04443-y
- The conflation of competence and capacity in english medical law: a philosophical critique.Medicine, Health Care, and Philosophy. 2005; 8: 357-369https://doi.org/10.1007/s11019-005-0537-z
- Patient perspectives on informed consent for anaesthesia and surgery: American attitudes.Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica. 2013; 57: 342-349https://doi.org/10.1111/aas.12037
- [Informed consent is for whom?].Revista de salud publica (Bogota). 2012; 14: 502-511
Caron, C.D., & Bowers, B.J. (2000). Methods and application of dimensional analysis: A contribution to concept and knowledge development in nursing. In B. L. K. Rodgers, K. A. (Ed.), Concept development in nursing: Foundations, techniques, and applications In B. L. K. Rodgers, K.A. (Ed.) (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA (pp. 285-319). Saunders.
- From the patient's perspective: Is there a need to improve the quality of informed consent for surgery in training hospitals?.The Permanente Journal. 2013; 17: 22-26https://doi.org/10.7812/tpp/13-032
- Informed consent and the surgeon.Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2009; 208: 627-634https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2008.12.012
- Surgical informed consent in children: A systematic review.Journal of Surgical Research. 2017; 213: 191-198https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2017.02.047
- Informed consent-It's more than a signature on a piece of paper.The American Journal of Surgery. 2017; 214: 993-997https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2017.09.015
- Prospective evaluation of patient comprehension of informed consent.The Journal of Bone Joint Surgery American Volume. 2011; 93 (111-117): e114https://doi.org/10.2106/jbjs.J.01325
- Informed consent in clinical practice and literature overview.Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2012; 286: 649-651https://doi.org/10.1007/s00404-012-2442-z
- Surgical informed consent in Iran–how much is it informed?.Nursing Ethics. 2014; 21: 314-322https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733013498525
- Informed consent: How much and what do patients understand?.American Journal of Surgery. 2009; 198: 420-435https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2009.02.010
- Informed consent in pediatric anesthesiology.Paediatric Anaesthesia. 2017; 27: 1253-1260https://doi.org/10.1111/pan.13270
- A survey on surgeons' perceived quality of the informed consent process in a Swiss paediatric surgery unit.Patient Safety in Surgery. 2015; 9 (PMID: 26322127; PMCID: PMC4552157): 30https://doi.org/10.1186/s13037-015-0076-3
- Ambulatory surgery data from hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers: United States, 2010.National Health Statistics Report. 2017; : 1-15
- A comprehensive primer of surgical informed consent.Surgical Clinics of North America. 2007; 87: 903-918https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2007.07.012
- Parental and youth understanding of the informed consent process for pediatric endoscopy.Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterol Nutrition. 2015; 60: 769-775https://doi.org/10.1097/mpg.0000000000000719
- Informed proxy consent: Communication between pediatric surgeons and surrogates about surgery.Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 591-597https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.105.3.591
- Informed consent–a contemporary myth?.The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery. 2006; 88: 2-7https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x.88b1.16435
- The ethics of informed consent and shared decision-making in pediatric surgery.Seminars in Pediatric Surgery. 2021; 30 (N.PAG-N.PAG)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sempedsurg.2021.151101
- Informed consent and informed decision-making in high-risk surgery: A quantitative analysis.Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2021; 233: 337-345https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2021.05.029
- Trends in US surgical procedures and health care system response to policies curtailing elective surgical operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.Journal of American Medical Association Network Open. 2021; 4e2138038https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.38038
Merriam-Webster. (2022). Definition of Informed Consent. (2022, January 22) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/informed%20consent
- Ethical challenges of obtaining informed consent from surgical patients.Nursing Ethics. 2020; 27: 527-536https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733019857781
- Informed consent: Optimism versus reality.British Dental Journal. 2002; 193: 221-224https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4801529
- Informed consent in pediatric surgery: Do parents understand the risks?.Archives of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery. 2010; 136: 265-269https://doi.org/10.1001/archoto.2010.5
- Parents’ experience of giving consent for their child to undergo surgery.Journal of Child Health Care. 2011; 15: 380-388https://doi.org/10.1177/1367493511410756
- Informed consent in pediatric otolaryngology: What risks and benefits do parents recall?.Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2016; 155: 332-339https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599816641910
- The reality of informed consent: Empirical studies on patient comprehension-systematic review.Trials Journal. 2021; 22: 57-64https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-020-04969-w
- Patient comprehension necessary for informed consent for vascular procedures is poor and related to frailty.Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2021; 73: 1422-1428https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2020.06.131
- Informed consent in neurosurgery: A systematic review.Neurosurgery Focus. 2020; 49: E6https://doi.org/10.3171/2020.8.Focus20611
- Consent in paediatric neurosurgery: Adequacy of documentation and parental perspectives.Childs Nervous System. 2019; 35: 2363-2369https://doi.org/10.1007/s00381-019-04285-y
- Informed consent.Baylor University Medical Proceedings. 2000; 13: 187-190
- How informed is the informed consent?.Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2021; 10: 2299-2303https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_2393_20
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding was provided through the University of Alabama at Birmingham departmental funds.